X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    New User
    • Mar 2004

Using beyond compare to sync a directory

So here is a problem that I have. I'd like input on where beyond compare could help (and any other non BC help would be appreciated :

There is a directory (project 1) full of files and subdirectories. Let's say (person A) adds files and changes existing files in (project 1). There is a version of (project 1) in the CVS source control system, let's call it (project 1.cvs). I need to have a script diff (project 1) to (project 1.cvs) and output all of the new and different files in (project 1) into a diffreport.txt Preferably the diffreport.txt should have the full path of each different or new file in (project 1) and should not have any matching files. Using the diffreport.txt I will write a script to take all the new and different files in (project 1) and check them into (project 1.cvs).

I need help as to how the diffing and diffreport.txt elements of this problem can be done in Beyond Compare.

Thank you very much,
    Carlos

Re: Using beyond compare to sync a directory

Maybe you can use "cvs -n upd" in the 'sandbox' or checked out copy of the modified Project 1 directory. The output will consist of something like:

M modified.filename
    ? newfile

You can then parse the output and add new files (designated with "?") and commit added/changed files.

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Re: Using beyond compare to sync a directory

I think you may need to follow anonymous's advice and use CVS commands for this.

To do it in BC you'll need to have two copies of the source checked out, one that you make changes to and one that's just an up-to-date copy of the cvs repository. Once you have that, you can generate a report of all of the different files using the scripting folder-report command. The summary style is probably the best match, and you can use options:display-mismatches to ignore exact matches. The paths will be relative to the base folders; we don't have any report styles that include full path information right now.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...