X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron
    Fanatic
    • Dec 2007

Copy to folder / keep base folder structure

Never had a need for this until now. Doesn't seem to work though.

The help topic illustrates exactly what I'd expect but that's not what I'm seeing.

What I'm seeing is keep relative, not keep base.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Ron,

First, please make sure you're running BC 3.2.4 or version 3.3.0 beta.

The three options in the "Copy to Folder" dialog are:

Keep relative folder structure
    Keep base folder structure
    Don't keep folder structure

Are some of these options not listed or disabled?

Are you selecting "Keep base folder structure", but when files are copied you're losing folder structure?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• ron
      Fanatic
      • Dec 2007

I think I see what confused me.

The left folder is: D:\Work\Dev\component\CPP_Sources

Under CPP_Sources there is a folder named Editor.

So in the resulting folder compare view, Editor is a top level (base) folder and it contains a few source files that are different.

When I invoked copy to folder, I was offered all three folder structure options. I was thinking that keep base with a destination of i:\issue would result in:

i:\issue\work\dev\component\CPP_Sources\Editor\<fi les>

Why does <files> above contain a space, but in this sentence it does not?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Ron,

In the Copy To Folder dialog, you can click the '?' Help button next to the 'X' Close button to open the context sensitive help. Here there is a collection of screenshots and examples for how each of the different path options works.

For your <files> question, are you referring to pasting a path into vbulletin forum software or Beyond Compare? Where did you paste it from?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ron
          Fanatic
          • Dec 2007

If you read my first post, you'll see that I acknowledged the help topic.

As for the <files> question, I didn't paste it at all, merely typed it in to the forum editor.

Must have something to do with using it in the format above - I just pasted that from my previous post. No space in the editor, space in the preview.

\<files>

Looks OK by itself. No big deal, just had me scratching my head.

Comment

• Lutz
            Veteran
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ron
            The left folder is: D:\Work\Dev\component\CPP_Sources
            I was thinking that keep base with a destination of i:\issue would result in:
            No, 'keep base' only keeps the folder structure below the base folder, so copying to 'i:\issue' should result in 'i:\issue\Editor'.

If you want to keep the complete structure you have to set 'D:\' and 'I:\issue' as your base folders.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• bcdewul
              Old Hand
              • Sep 2010

Would it be possible to copy a folder, incl. contents to a different folder, but keeping the entire path (foldertree).

Something like the below.

Thanks
              =

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes. You can use our Copy To Folder Command, but be sure to "Keep base folder structure," to keep the subfolders up to the base level. "Keep relative folder structure" only keeps as much as needed to organize all the selected files. Click the '?' Help button next to the 'X' close button on the Copy To Folder dialog for more detailed Help.

Let us know if you have any questions.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
                  Old Hand
                  • Sep 2010

Bad luck, am afraid it does not work.

In the below screenshot (under 1): I select all files (file1.txt, 2.txt etc)
                  The Actions->Copy to Folder, select Keep base folder structure.

at the destintion, only the one subfolder is copied, not the entire path.

My idea is to have copied (empty though), donot want to have files located in various subfolders.
                  Often a path gives some indication about the contents of the files located in the respect folders.

Maybe something for the wishlist :-)

brgds
                  ==

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The directory tree should be preserved up to the level of the base folder; it would not go above that (example: to the drive letter, unless the drive letter is the base folder.) What is your current base folder, and what are the directories/subdirectories leading down to your file1.txt and file2.txt.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
                      Old Hand
                      • Sep 2010

Maybe it is better to give an example.
                      Say I have a few PDF-files located in:

x:\Photography\Cameras and lenses\Cameras\Nikon\Nikon-D1

I would like to
                      - select all the PDF files in the bottom folder (Nikon-D1)
                      - copy (or move) these files to y:\backup including empty path/tree

so the result would be
                      y:\backup\Photography\Cameras and lenses\Cameras\Nikon\Nikon-D1

Currently SB will do:
                      y:\backup\Nikon-D1

Must admit, I have not discovered any other application capable of doing this. A Google search on 'copy files including path' shows some threads on this matter, but I am not sure if there are any windows solutions for this..

=

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you set "Y:\" as your base folder on one side, and use the Copy To Folder command to copy to "Y:\backup\", with Preserve Base Folder structure, how does this work for you?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
                          Old Hand
                          • Sep 2010

Here some examples

====

This is when selecting rootfolder, it will copy the path, but also including files stored in subfolders, i.e. not just the entire empty path.

As said, the feature is not available, maybe in one of the next releases.
                          =

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3's Base Folder is the folder defined in the "highest level" in your screenshot. The Copy To Folder options are not designed to copy any part of the base folder. Expanding our copy options is on our Customer Wishlist.

As a workaround, you can copy the path as you intend by setting the base folder as Y:\, which would then make all subfolders available to the copy if any are present between Base Folder and the Current Selection.

In your two screenshots:
                            1) last folder is the only folder defined between the base folder and the current selection, so it is what is preserved by Keep base folder structure when selecting the files inside of it.

2) The selection here is subfolder1. There are no folders between it and the basefolder, so there is nothing to preserve. This disables the option (though, as a sticky, it is still selected on the previous option). Copying this folder is like copying it in My Computer; its contents are also copied.
                            If you selected Subfolder2, the options would re-enable and if you copied with Base Folder Structure, you would get the selection (subfolder 2 and its contents) with the folders up to the base folder as parents, so Subfolder1.

Detailed documentation and example cases can be found in the Help file. If you open the Copy To Folder dialog, you can click the '?' help button next to the 'X' close button to go directly to the article.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
                              Old Hand
                              • Sep 2010

Many thanks for the support sofar!

Looking forward the updates of BC with new copy options...

Again, thanks!!

=

Comment

Working...