X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eric.r.cain
    New User
    • Jul 2011

3-way compare?

I'd really like to compare 3 files, not merge them. Or, at least make all three panes editable. Is this possible, and if so, how can I get this to happen.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

A 3 way text comparison is not currently supported and our Text Merge session does not allow editing of any of the top panes. Adding a 3-way text compare is on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Skooting
      New User
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      A 3 way text comparison is not currently supported and our Text Merge session does not allow editing of any of the top panes. I use Phen375 and wrote about it on https://skinnyexpress.com/phen375-review-and-results recently. Adding a 3-way text compare is on our wishlist.
      I haven't used Text Merge in a long time unfortunately, has text comparison been added in any of the latest versions? I know it was on your wishlist.
      Last edited by Skooting; 09-Dec-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is not a project we've been able to tackle. The workaround would be to use our 2 way Text Compare, comparing one pair of files at a time.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mgutt
          Visitor
          • Feb 2017

I installed Beyond Compare yesterday the first time and 3-way compare is the only reason why I wanted to use a merge tool. Finally I'm forced to use an other tool. I would be happy throwing money on the screen because I think BC has a really good UI. So please think again about adding this feature.

I tried the 3-way merge but I must admit that I did not understand what happens in the fourth window. It contains rows that I don't want there as they would break the complete code. I think its because I'm comparing file versions with many changes in them?! I don't really know, but 2-way compare has exactly the functionality I'm searching for, but it misses the 3rd way

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

The three way merge assumes the center pane is a common ancestor of the left and right files. If the center is an independent file, then it might not be able to do a good job of generating an automated merge for the 4th output pane at the bottom.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mgutt
              Visitor
              • Feb 2017

The automatic is the reason why I need text compare only.

Altough you should think about changing the UI so its self explaining what left/center/right really means. Maybe through adding a click-by-click tutorial.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Sorry, what do you mean by needing automatic merging in a compare?

In order to auto-merge, general (independent of BC4) merge logic would require defining an Ancestor and 2 decedents (Yours and Theirs). There is no way to auto-merge 3 equally weighted inputs. BC4 does not support arbitrarily defining which pane is the Ancestor, but requires it to be the Center pane.

Terminology wise, a 3-way Compare pane would be 3 equally weighting panes, side by side. A 3-way Merge has 2 or 3 input panes that merge into a 3rd/4th Output pane. If you need any kind of automatic merging of the files, you would need a Merge session and not a Compare session; but it's a matter of making sure you have proper inputs from your version control software.

We've had a couple pop-up tutorials in BC2, but received a lot of negative feedback, so we've toned done the number of pop-ups and aren't likely to implement more. Instead, we have a context sensitive Help '?' button in each dialog next to the Close 'X' button. This will launch the Help file to the article pertaining to the current view.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mgutt
                  Visitor
                  • Feb 2017

Sorry, I did not explain it well. I meant I do not need an automatic at all.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Ah! Well, that'd help explain it. Unfortunately, a full 3-way Text Compare is probably not a session type we'll be adding short term. The best workaround is two tabs of 2-way Text Compare sessions, where you can tackle one pair and then another.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...