License serial number key not erased after uninstall - reinstall recalls it.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arjaydavis
    Expert
    • Oct 2010

License serial number key not erased after uninstall - reinstall recalls it.

When Beyond Compare is uninstalled, the product serial license key remains on the system (presumably in the registry). The uninstall should remove this.

On re-installation, this is recalled and the program is fully registered again.

Reason for the un-install is that I am upgrading to a new PC at work and am uninstalling any licensed apps of my own before moving to the new PC. I would have no control over what happens to the old PC, e.g. whether or not hard drive is wiped.

On my new PC, I expect to run my licensed Beyond Compare as a standalone from an external drive, without requiring installation, as I know that this configuration is supported.

On the old PC I would guess that, since the program is uninstalled, anyone using the PC would not be aware of it being on there, without looking into the registry. But I don't like the idea of my license key details being left on there by default.

Please advise of how to remove the license key, a script or something would be useful. Or otherwise I would have to go into the registry and delete the key-pairs at some part of the tree myself, which I'd rather not do.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The registration is stored per Windows User account, so they would also need to be logging into the machine with your Windows Username in order to be registered.

If you would like to remove the settings/registration manually, you can from your %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\ folder. (type %AppData% into the location bar instead of c:\folder.) The registration BC3Key.txt and other setting files are stored here.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...