X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gadgeteria
    Enthusiast
    • Sep 2004

Re: MP3 Viewer

Ah hah! I accidentally figured out what the heck was going on, Chris. Your description of items being loaded prompted me to experiment, and it turns out I had temporarily disabled a Shell Extension exported from "%windir%\system32\wmpshell.dll" for a project I was working on. The one that affected the BC plugin was named "WMP Play As Playlist Launcher", a context menu handler.

FWIW, there're two others that I know of that wmpshell.dll provides, "WMP Add To Playlist Launcher" and "WMP Burn Audio CD Launcher", all listed as Context Menu extensions. I have no idea what the playback support has to do with "play as playlist", but that's the one!

BTW, I've been using SysInternals software for years -- it's some of the most useful I've ever found for getting at the "innards" of the way the OS works on a particular machine. Most of their stuff is freeware and is better than lots of commercial software. What led me to this one was a cool freeware offering from NirSoft called ShellExView 1.01.

Thanks again for helping try to figure out what was up!

Comment

• gadgeteria
      Enthusiast
      • Sep 2004

More for the idea list: I really miss being able to see the track length, bit rate, and sample rate -- important quality-related statistics that're reported by many MP3 utils I've used. Another biggie is the channel format (stereo, joint stereo, dual channel, or even the new 5.1 surround standard from Fraunhofer IIS).

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll add it to our wish list for the Mp3 viewer.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• gadgeteria
          Enthusiast
          • Sep 2004

Thanks, Chris!

Comment

Any idea yet when the updated MP3 plugin (bit rate, length etc etc) will be available?

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

We haven't scheduled the next release of the MP3 Viewer yet.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• nessi
                Visitor
                • Jan 2004

More for the idea list: [...]
                I miss to be able to choose whether to compare ID3v1 or ID3v2 Tags.
                And an "ignore case" switch for the tags.

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll add these to our wish list.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• gadgeteria
                    Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2004

We haven't scheduled the next release of the MP3 Viewer yet.
                    Is there any availability of some sort of roadmap? I sure would like to see the Viewer enhanced...

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We don't have a detailed roadmap for the Mp3 Viewer right now.

I think there are plans to update the plug-ins when we release version 3, but I don't think we have specific plans for them in the near future.

We're a pretty small company (5 full time employees), and right now we're focusing our development resources on BC version 3 rather than the plug-ins.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• gadgeteria
                        Enthusiast
                        • Sep 2004

Sounds reasonable, Chris. Thanks!

Comment

• gadgeteria
                          Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2004

The MP3 plugin's playback controls seem to have been broken somehow
                          This seems to be an ongoing issue, on my machine anyway (XP Pro SP2). The playback controls remain permanently dimmed for any/all MP3 files, and this has been the state for most of the past couple of years or so. If I install/uninstall other audio packages, they "just work", even packages using the default Windows player/codec as with Compare.

I thought I'd hit on a solution in 2004, but it proved to only work in the short term. Is there anything you or I can do to troubleshoot this issue? I've already tried all the suggestions earlier in this topic. I sure would love to be able to use the side-by-side comparison.

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Sorry, I still don't know why the controls are disabling. In the past it worked fine with Windows Media Player 10, and I've since upgraded to Windows Media Player 11 and it is still working fine on my own system.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• gadgeteria
                              Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2004

Thanks, Chris. (I'm still using WMP 10, but I had the same issue with v9.)

Could you please ask whoever wrote the code what has to happen for the controls to be enabled? This is nuts!

Comment

• Chris
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

The playback part of the MP3 Viewer uses a third party component, so I don't think anyone on our staff knows a great deal about it. I'll try to find some time in my schedule to look into this a little deeper.
                                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...