X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibu
    Journeyman
    • May 2011

Time stamp differs in whole numbers of hours

I use BC to synchronize a local folder via FTP with a server.
    I have no shell access to the server.

For the FTP connection I use the default configuration.
    (Extras > FTP-Profiles > General > Time Zone: automatical detection)

When I copy files and folders from local to remote, BC shows a time stamp on the server which differs exaktly 2 hours from the time stamp on the local files/folders.

I changed the time zone configuration manually.

That has no effect on the time stamp which BC shows.
    Still it differs 2 hours.

Please, what do I have to do, that the time stamp which is shown remote, is exactly the same as local?

Thanks.

Something else, which is related:
    In another FTP-Client all the time stamps of folders has - other than in BC - a "00" at the position of the seconds.

What do I have to do please, that the time stampm, which is shown by another FTP client, is exactly the same than the one which BC shows - to the split second?
    Last edited by ibu; 16-May-2011, 12:23 PM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you set the timezone manually, which timezone did you pick? Do you need to pick one that is an additional -2 Hours? Changing the timezone will update the way the time is displayed in BC3.

Which version of BC3 are you currently running? All BC3.x updates are free, and you can update to the latest using the Help menu -> Check for Updates, or from our website's download page.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

Each column in BC3 displays as much information as it can for the given column width. If you drag the column to be larger, increasing its width, we should show more information. Does that show the info you are looking for?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ibu
      Journeyman
      • May 2011

Aaron, thanks for your reply.

Meanwhile it works. May be it is necessary to restart BC or refresh the list before one copies after he had changed the configuration.

Fact is: now it works fine.

My version is 3.2.4.
      I choosed the time zone "UTC Monrovia" to get the same time as in my local files.
      I don't know why the the automatic process fails.

I could still reproduce strange effects in the time stamps, when I view them with other Clients, when I wrote the time stamp with BC.

Example file "/index.html"
      Code:
               Local: 15.05.2011 11:33:16

BC: 15.05.2011 11:33:16
      Speedcommander: 15.05.2011 11:33:00
            Homepump: 15.05.2011 11:33:00
           Filezilla: 15.05.2011 11:33:00
      Example folder "/archive/"

Code:
               Lokal: 01.05.2011 01:45:57

BC: 01.05.2011 01:45:57
      Speedcommander: 01.01.1601 01:00:00 (sic!)
            Homepump: -
           Filezilla: 01.05.2011 01:45:00
      Do you have any idea, what I can do against these effects?

What is the "true" time stamp?

Nice regards
      Last edited by ibu; 17-May-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, I would recommend fully restarting BC3 after changing the timezone or any other FTP options to make sure they are properly used when connecting to the FTP server.

I'm not sure if I understand the Strange Effects you are seeing. BC3 seems to handle the file timestamps better than the other clients you have been able to test with. We match Filezilla closely in both examples, while the other clients are not able to retrieve the data. By default, the timestamp normally does not include the seconds on an FTP listing, but if BC3 detects the server is capable we will ask for the seconds as well.

Also, please try the Auto-detect timezone in the next version of BC3. We will be updating it and it should be more accurate after the next release, so you will not have to manually set the timezone.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ibu
          Journeyman
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Aaron

Yes, I would recommend fully restarting BC3 after changing the timezone or any other FTP options to make sure they are properly used when connecting to the FTP server.
          May be it is a good idea to display a message, when a user had changed FTP settings.
          "You changed the FTP settings. A restart of BC is necessary when they should take effect."
          I'm not sure if I understand the Strange Effects you are seeing. BC3 seems to handle the file timestamps better than the other clients you have been able to test with.
          I asked the developer of Speedcommander.
          He will look for the cause of the wrong time stamp. It has to do with the MSLP command. A workaround is: using FTP instead of SFTP in Speedcommander.
          Than the time stamp is correct.

Also, please try the Auto-detect timezone in the next version of BC3. We will be updating it and it should be more accurate after the next release, so you will not have to manually set the timezone.
          Thanks for all your hints and comments.

I like BC. My honest compliment for the developers

Comment

• spihlhaus
            New User
            • Aug 2011

Hello,
            I have a similar problem with the actual BC 3.2.4.
            Is there a solution so far?
            If not, could I help?

Regards
            Benedikt

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Please try updating to our beta for improved timestamp detection:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=beta33
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• spihlhaus
                New User
                • Aug 2011

Hello,

I find out, that BC3 works fine with FileZilla Server 0.9.32 with automatic detection but not with Quick'n Easy FTP Server 3.2. Perhaps is this helpful for your debugging.
                I'll try the beta at the next opportunity.

Regards
                Benedikt

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

The beta and the upcoming release version of BC3 has fixed and improved FTP Timezone detection. Please update at your earliest convenience to help us test this change.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dickdunbar
                    Expert
                    • Dec 2007

I have to coordinate files across many platforms using ftp.

ftp:// doesn't seem to have the proper interfaces in the protocol for BC to set a timestamp.

sftp:// is perfect with BC3 ... but it's not available on all the platforms I must sync with.

Upload from the ftp server syncs timestamps fine ... it's just when I copy TO the ftp server that the current timestamp is used.

Thanks for the Timezone detection changes.

I assume "upcoming release" means 3.3.1 ( build 13971 ).

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hello Dick,

Yes, "upcoming" is now available as BC 3.3.1. Are you having timezone detection issues or timestamp preservation issues? BC3 attempts to preserve the timestamp when transferring to an FTP, but not all servers support this. Does the Touch command work to manually set the timestamps after a transfer?

BC3 also supports an advanced option to automatically 'touch' the local files. This updates their timestamp to the time of the transfer, too, but keeps both times in sync automatically.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...