Clear All
  • morded
    New User
    • May 2011

how to compare a multi tab excel worksheet

hello
    i have started using BC recently
    and i have encountered 2 issues when comparing excel files:

1. when comparing .xls files, all i get is an empty table, without the real content of the files and differences, like i get in other file formats.
    (see attached image)

2. when comparing multi tab .xlsx files, i get results for the first tab of each worksheet only.

Does BC3 support full comparison of xls files?
    Does BC3 support full comparison of multi tab excel files?

if so, how do i fix it

thanks
    Morded
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3's Data Compare currently only supports a single view. Our conversion process will convert the current Sheet and use that for the comparison; opening the file, changing the active sheet, and re-saving should change the data BC3 compares.
    Alternatively, we have additional rules for download to compare the Excel file in the Text Compare. These rules will convert the entire document to plain text and display all of the sheets. You can download them here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...oreformats_alt

We can also create a file format that uses the Text Compare conversion in the Data Compare, but that will mix all of the sheet data into a single sheet and sort it (sort can be disabled). If you would like more details on this approach, please let us know.

I would expect the conversion process to display the text data within your Excel file's first/active sheet. From your screenshot, it appears that it has at least 1 key field (first column is set as the Key by default, and is sorted). So the file appears to be converting at least partially, but has several blank rows? Would you be able to email us a pair of sample files at [email protected]? If you email us, please include:
    1) Your Support package from the Help menu -> Support; Export
    2) A link back to this forum post for reference
    3) A pair of sample files.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cpascal
      New User
      • Aug 2011

How to compare a multi tab excel worksheet?

"We can also create a file format that uses the Text Compare conversion in the Data Compare, but that will mix all of the sheet data into a single sheet and sort it (sort can be disabled). If you would like more details on this approach, please let us know."

I am interested in this approach. Could you please explain how to do that? Thank you.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Install the additional download from the above link for the Text Compare's MS Excel rule.
        Create a copy/clone of the Data Compare MS Excel rule (gold leftmost icon.)
        In the External Conversion tab of the Text Compare (white paper leftmost icon,) copy the external conversion command line, and paste it into the cloned Data Compare file format. This way, the clone will use the text compare's method of conversion.

The topmost file format associated with *.xls(x) is the format used automatically. The others must be selected manually during a compare.

Let us know if you have any questions.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• snidely.too
          Expert
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

Install the additional download from the above link for the Text Compare's MS Excel rule.
          Am I correct that the following steps refer to the Tools menu, and the "File Formats" selection found there?

Create a copy/clone of the Data Compare MS Excel rule (gold leftmost icon.)

In the External Conversion tab of the Text Compare (white paper leftmost icon,) copy the external conversion command line, and paste it into the cloned Data Compare file format. This way, the clone will use the text compare's method of conversion.

The topmost file format associated with *.xls(x) is the format used automatically. The others must be selected manually during a compare.
          Has this been added to your FAQ list yet? It seems to be a recurring topic.

/dps

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll work on writing up a KB article that goes into this in more detail.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pepi
              New User
              • Feb 2013

Hi Aaron
              it's being a long time since you post your last comment regarding this topic.

I just wonder if you could inform me about your future development plans:
              -Do you plan to implement some feature in BC3 that will allow us(users) to switch between
              Multiple Excel sheets and compare them (DataCompare) ?
              Currently only the ActiveSheet is visible for BC3

Thanks in Advance,
              Petar

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

This is something that is still on our Customer Wishlist to be built-in, but I did write up that KB article awhile back:
                http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ultisheetexcel
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...