• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rob3770
    Journeyman
    • May 2011

Html-to-Txt Plugin Not Working

Hi,

I have a requirement to compare 2 files, one is a before snapshot of services the other is an after snapshoot.
    The 2 files can be either csv or html, the html ones are the better looking so i installed the html-to-txt plugin.

Now when i select the files to compare i receive this message...

Error: the system cannot find the file specified.

Help!!!!

Cheers

Rob
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

In BC2, that error usually means the Rule was unzipped to the wrong location. When you installed the rule, you first unzipped the contents of the file to the designated spot on the harddrive, and then imported the .xml file, correct?

The first step is to go to your Tools menu -> Options, Rules section. Select your HTML to Text rule and Edit.

Here go to the Conversion tab. This shows where BC2 expects the external conversion to be located. For HTML to Text, this should be: "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 2\Html2Txt\Html2Txt.exe (plus parameters)".

You will then want to make sure that this is where this file is located on your Harddrive using My Computer. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 2\Html2Txt\, and make sure this folder then has the files in it. If it has an HTML2Text\ folder inside, or if the files are in C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 2\, then the conversion won't work. You'll need to copy the zip files into the C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 2\Html2Txt\ folder.

Does this help explain how external conversions work and fix the error you are running into?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rob3770
      Journeyman
      • May 2011

Yes thankyou, can you please point me in the direction of the Beyond Compare v2 command lind Reference Guide as all i have is bcqc.exe which i can't get to do very much.

Cheers

Rob

Comment

• rob3770
        Journeyman
        • May 2011

Thanks it now works, can you please point me in the direction of a command line reference guide as i now need to script this for an automation project.
        I have bcqa.exe but this gives very little options
        Cheers

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

If you type bcqc.exe /? then you can see some Help documentation on the command line.

BCQC is different than running from the command line. It is designed for just two file input, and returns an error code that can be incorporated into an automated task.

BC2.exe has additional options, such as running BC Script, but does not return the error code for file comparisons. Instead, script can generate a report/etc, which can be parsed for additional information. This is documented in the Help file under the Command Line and Scripting section.

BC3 incorporates both functionalities, and either can be used using BCompare.exe (the BC3 executable.) If interested, the trial of BC3 can be installed without removing or altering your BC2 install. This way, you can test out BC3 while still using BC2 for day to day work.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...