How to turn off scanning at beginning of copy folder to left/right and just DO copy!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arjaydavis
    Expert
    • Oct 2010

How to turn off scanning at beginning of copy folder to left/right and just DO copy!

I'm copying many folders with deep-ish subfolder trees from a remote network share.

When I start this, beyond compare says its scanning the files. For what? It's not necessary. Just DO the copy for goodness sake.

Please advise.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

It isn't possible to change this behavior. The scanning step is Beyond Compare checking the files for things that will raise file operation prompts, like overwriting read-only files. This is so it can present a confirmation at the beginning of the file operation, instead of stopping for a confirmation part way through the copy.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

We've also found that in many cases the scanning makes the overall file copy operation faster or comparable to using Windows Explorer. If you would like to test this, you will have to perform the same copy multiple times, alternating between using Explorer and BC3 (to help prevent cache from skewing the results).
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Peter10
        Visitor
        • Aug 2014

I would like this feature.
        I often copy a large tree of files ( 10 000 files or more ) to a location where NONE of the tree exists
        So there could be no conflicts - like RO files etc. or existing files
        Scanning files takes a long long time time

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

The scanning step is building the list of the items that need to be copied. Whether this happens as a pre-process step, or happens during the progress bar, it takes roughly the same amount of time overall. In fact, as I mention above, the scan step actually helps it go a bit faster.

To test, however, requires multiple trials, since caching has a large impact on the test. To accurately see the transfer speed, you would need to copy the same data from the source to the destination, and alternate between Explorer and BC3 a few times. This helps find and average and limits the impact caching would have on the transfer.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• levitation
            New User
            • Aug 2016

Hello

I have noticed that hogging the CPU while scanning, AND also allocating hundreds or even thousands of megabytes of memory in fast manner during that scan is making the computer rather slow (and noisy). So in case of big folders and in the sense of computer usability during the scan/copy the feature of scanning before copying really makes things slower.
            Of course the memory would eventually be allocated anyway. But not in such quick succession since the file copying would slow things down and give the operating system more time to keep balance of things.

Roland

Comment

• levitation
              New User
              • Aug 2016

Also the disk idle percent would be more user-friendly and less disturbing in case the folder scanning were mixed with file copying: file reads are more linear and the disk has to seek around less times per second, since the overall speed of operations will be limited for example by the network speed or by target disk write speed.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is this during the initial Load of the session (where we are running the background scan) or after the load and during the Copy command's scanning step? Or are you initiating the Copy during the initial load so both overlap?

The Load can be a demanding scan depending on the sources and scan type. Remote locations would require a download, and a rules-based scan could take a decent amount of memory depending on the file types/sessions involved. How large are the individual files? And which version of Beyond Compare are you running and on which OS (32 or 64bit)?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...