Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
    Not according to the documentation, Craig.
    The documentation doesn't say one way or the other. At best, it says they're changes that "should" be considered unimportant, not "must".

Aha. I don't think keeping that info from users was a smart idea.
    What, that we made a design decision? We make thousands of decisions about how features should work; we aren't going to document all of the things we decided not to do.

That's a faithful execution of the Replacement the user asked for. That's exactly what I want as per "Replacements identify repetitive changes that should be considered unimportant."

Craig, I cannot imagine when I would find it useful for BC to apply my replacements "optionally". Replacements are no use to me if I cannot trust BC to apply them consistently.
    As I said, we considered both approaches, and we believe that the current behavior is better in more cases. You're welcome to disagree, but you're not the only one we're designing BC for. In source code changes are frequently on a subroutine-by-subroutine basis, rather than over the entire file, so the current behavior is better since it isn't introducing differences that aren't there.

I'm sorry the current behavior doesn't work for you, but adding the alternate approach is a fairly complex feature and I don't expect us to get to it soon. BC has find and replace support and updates the comparison as it does so, so you can do a global replacement yourself to eliminate them as differences.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    it says they're changes that "should" be considered unimportant, not "must".
    Cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Aha. I don't think keeping that info from users was a smart idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    What, that we made a design decision?
    No - that BC may decide not to apply the user's Replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That specific coloring is because BC3 does not color single character matches (checker-boarding). If it did match and color it, the "s\30s\Loud" would have a single black character in it
    For the record, that is exactly what I do see when BC is working better e.g. at the caret here: