Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    You can't "disable" a grammar item. The only way to prevent it from classifying text is to delete it.
    Shouldn't the Keyword item be disabled by a match on the the higher Tag item? As per the documentation:

Text Format Grammar Settings
    Items higher on the list take precedence over lower items.

Hello Chris,

The order is significant in helping to break ties between multiple possible matches. However, other factors can make a section of text match one grammar over another before the list precedence is used. In this example, the length of the match matters more than the position in the priority list. The 'Keyword' is a longer match than the left side of the delimiter ("<"). In this case, the longest match will used. If they are equal in length, then the list's priority breaks a tie.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The order is significant in helping to break ties between multiple possible matches. However, other factors can make a section of text match one grammar over another before the list precedence is used.
    Thanks. That's news to me, despite me having read the Help. Did I miss it somewhere?

In this example, the length of the match matters more than the position in the priority list. The 'Keyword' is a longer match than the left side of the delimiter ("<"). In this case, the longest match will used.
    Note that in this case the longest match is Tag, and it is not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
    Thanks. That's news to me, despite me having read the Help. Did I miss it somewhere?

Note that in this case the longest match is Tag, and it is not being used.
    The delimited type matches on the left side first, and the left side of tag is only "<". Making this behavior clearer and improving on it in general is on our wishlist for a future version of Beyond Compare.

I recommend creating the copy of the File Format, and deleting the Keyword definition from the copy. You can then toggle between the two methods of comparison using the dropdown on the toolbar.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

The delimited type matches on the left side first, and the left side of tag is only "<". Making this behavior clearer and improving on it in general is on our wishlist for a future version of Beyond Compare.
    Thanks. I suggest precedence should go by what matches the element, not just part of the element "first".

Agreed, which is why improving and expanding on this behavior is on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

In your case, you can get the behavior you desire by modifying your "Tag" grammar item definition. Switch the category to Basic, enable Regular expression, and enter the following text:
    Code:
    <[^>]*>
    Erik Scooter Software

Thanks Eric, but that fails on line breaks.

Agreed, which is why improving and expanding on this behavior is on our wishlist.
    OK!