X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dandv
    Enthusiast
    • Dec 2009

[SUGGESTION] Fast move for files on the same drive

I have a suggestion for the Move operation: if the source and destination are on the same drive, there is no need to copy the files. Using the system's rename/move call will be way faster.

My use case is a network-mapped drive, on which I wanted to move a large folder from, say, X:\Users\A, to X:\Users\B. BC3 started copying the files and estimated the operation would take 50 minuets, so I used Windows explorer to move the folder almost instantly.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

A very quick transfer would be the expected behavior in the case you've described. What type of network-mapped drive are you using? Is it a NAS device or a Windows Shared Folder? If a shared folder, on what OS is the hosted folder?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dandv
      Enthusiast
      • Dec 2009

Well, it's a TrueCrypt drive mounted off a shared folder (\\169.192...\path), hosted on Windows XP Home and accessed from Widows 7.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

My guess is that this is TrueCrypt specific. Do you see the same speed difference if you move files with BC on a share that isn't a TrueCrypt drive?
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• dandv
          Enthusiast
          • Dec 2009

Move is instantaneous without Truecrypt

Hi Aaron, looks you're right and it's related to TrueCrypt. When I mounted just the network path, moves were instantaneous.

In the process, though, I discovered another issue, perhaps more serious.

Comment

Working...