X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abandoned
    New User
    • Feb 2011

Folder sizes not showing in Folder Compare

I started using BCompare under Ubuntu and it does not seem to display the folder sizes in the 'size' column - only the file sizes. How can I display (recursive) folder sizes too?

Thank you,
    -Axel
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Folder Sizes do not show until the folders have been scanned or built. By default, we only scan the folder if it is aligned to another folder on the other side. If you issue an expand all command (in the View menu), then all Folder sizes should be built.

Are your folders currently blue? You can automatically scan all folders by changing a session setting in the Folder Compare's Session Settings dialog, in the Handling tab, to Automatically Scan top level Orphan folders.

As a Session settings, you will need to set it as a session default if you wish for it to apply to all future Folder Compare sessions. You can do this right from the dialog, switching the bottom drop down from "Apply for this session" to "Also update session defaults", or by changing the settings on the Home screen in the green Edit Session Defaults saved sessions folder.

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• lesterw
      Visitor
      • Mar 2009

Ugh... The Expand All is a messy way to accomplish this. It expands ALL the folders and not just the one I selected. . I too would like to see summary file sizes. How about a Right Mouse Menu -> Show Folder Size?

And/or perhaps a Actions -> Show Folder Size?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you set the Session Settings to scan, you do not need to expand the folders.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
          Veteran
          • Oct 2007

It is a feature that I would like to see added to refresh current selection. Right now, if I right click on a folder and select refresh current selection nothing happens. I would like that B.C.3 would scan that and only that folder tree in the background.

Thank You very much

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello Rodolfo,

Thanks for the suggestion. Our Refresh commands respect the current scan settings. Is there a reason that you do not want to turn on the option to Scan Top level Orphan Folders for their size?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rodolfog
              Enthusiast
              • Feb 2004

Right now I have not my pc here, so forgive me if I make a mistake, but I believe to remember that the "issue" that I saw is this. If I select to scan folders in background, then B.C.3 scans ALL folders automatically, perhaps even at startup, and it can take a very long time, with all my nested folders and/or a remote busy ftp site on a slow communication line. Instead, I choose not to scan folders. When I want, I select a folder, orphan or on both sides. Then I right click and choose to open all subfolders. And then I immediately close subfolders. So, I would like to be able to select one or more folders, then right click and then choose refresh selection. B.C.3 would scan only the selected folder(s) in the background, saving me a lot of time.

Thank You very much again

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

If the connection is sufficiently slow, that would make sense. How does the Expand Subfolders command work for you? This would expand only the selected folder(s) and the subfolders below it. You can then issue the Close Folder command on just that folder to collapse it again.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Lutz
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by lesterw
                  Ugh... The Expand All is a messy way to accomplish this. It expands ALL the folders and not just the one I selected. . I too would like to see summary file sizes. How about a Right Mouse Menu -> Show Folder Size?

And/or perhaps a Actions -> Show Folder Size?
                  Originally posted by rodolfog
                  When I want, I select a folder, orphan or on both sides. Then I right click and choose to open all subfolders. And then I immediately close subfolders.
                  I solved this problem by assigning Shift & Ctrl & right/left arrow key to Open/Close all subfolders of selected folders. Pressing them immediately in sequence will have the same effect as Show Folder Size (of course a complete scan of the selected folders is necessary).

Greetings Lutz
                  Last edited by Lutz; 04-Mar-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• chrroe
                    Pooh-Bah
                    • Oct 2007

Hello community,

this problem was rised already sometimes ago in this thread:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5720

In posting #5 I wrote about my work-around.

Hope this helps ...

Bye
                    Christoph

Comment

Working...