X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xichael
    Visitor
    • Feb 2011

Compare only file names?

I have something for which I only need to compare file names, not timestamps or content. Is this possible with Beyond Compare?
    Last edited by xichael; 09-Feb-2011, 01:15 PM.
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

Yes. Session Settings: [ ] Compare file size [ ] Compare timestamps .

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Thanks, Chrisjj.

To add to Chris' explanation: You can control the current comparison criteria of a Folder Compare session by going to the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab. Here you can disable file size and timestamp, and enable Compare filename case, if that is what you wish to compare.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• becmp
        Journeyman
        • Oct 2010

I also needed to do this and the solution worked. However, it lists all of the files, not just the ones that are different. I tried the various settings in the view menu. Is there a way to just show the files that are different?

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Select "View > Show Differences" from the menu if you want to see orphans (files that are only on one side) and different (file is on both sides but has a difference).

If you don't want to see the orphan files, select "View > Show Differences but no Orphans".

You can also select "View > Toolbars > Toggles" to change the filter toolbar for finer grained control.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• becmp
            Journeyman
            • Oct 2010

Thank you. I had tried that but it must have required a restart since it woekd when I just tried it now.

Comment

• Jerm
              New User
              • Mar 2011

Similar Question - New User - Please Help!

Hi,

I just downloaded the trial version of Folder Compare 3 and am trying to evaluate whether or not it will provide the necessary solution for my workflow. It certainly appears as though it will, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the Session Options to achieve my goal.

I have 2 root directories with the same subfolder structure and files within subfolders in each. The source folder(s) contain my 'original' files and the other folder(s) contain converted versions of those files.
              For example Folder 0001 contains '12345-01.plt' and Folder 0001 on the other side contains '1234-01.pdf'. I batched converted source files to .pdfs but retained the same filenames, so only the extension/file type has changed.

How do I need to configure my session so I am able to see any that are missing from the 'Converted' side when compared to only the file name (not extension) on the 'Source' side?

My apologies if this has been covered, I'm new to both the software and the Forums.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. If it will work as stated above, I'll definitely need this tool in my arsenal!

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

I believe you would want to use the BC3 Pro feature Alignment Overrides, found in the Folder Compare -> Session Settings -> Misc tab.

There are two ways to do this, depending on if you have unconverted files on both sides:
                If you have only PDF files on one side, and PLT on the other, then:
                You can setup an Alignment Override that aligns *.pdf on the left with *.plt on the right. Any files unaligned would be files that do not exist on both sides, so view Only Orphans to find this unconverted files.

If you have PDF on one side, and a mix of PDF and PLT files on the other:
                You will need to exclude/deal with any PDF=PDF on both side files before applying the filter. Use the Display filters to hide all orphans (Show Equal, Show Differences No Orphans), and view these files. Once reviewed, you can hide them from view by selecting them with Edit -> Select All Files, and then using the Exclude option in the right click menu.

Then Apply your Alignment Override and review the new matches.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

For help with options and Session Settings, please see this video:
                  http://www.scootersoftware.com/videos/WN3Options.html
                  from the Videos page: http://www.scootersoftware.com/moreinfo.php?zz=videos

Sessions are like bookmarks. They store information specific to the currently open session (folders, display filters, session settings, etc). You must then save this session to use these settings later for a future comparison.
                  You can also set the Session Setting defaults, to be used when new sessions are opened.

Let us know if you have any questions.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...