X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xangelusx
    Visitor
    • Mar 2006

Feature Request - Create diff files from Folder View

I'm trying to send a co-work a snapshot of a set of differences so that they can see what settings need to change between two hosting environments. I was trying to use the Folder Compare Report as I thought that would generate a set of diff files, or at least contain detailed contents of the text changes. Not so. I then stumbled across http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_patch which explains how to create diff files on a per-file basis. I would like to have the ability to create these patch files, but from the folder view level and have them maintain the folder hierarchy. Alternately, a Folder Comparison report that included the differences from each file would also suffice.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can generate the file level reports from a Folder Compare session by selecting the files (and not the folders). To do this, use the Edit menu -> Expand All, and the Edit menu -> Select All files (or use the Display filters to limit the visible results, or manually select only files.)

You can then use the Actions menu -> File Comparison Report dialog to generate the diff or other file level reports showing the text within the files selected.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• xangelusx
      Visitor
      • Mar 2006

Ah, interesting. I must have had a folder selected when I tried it. This doesn't give you the side-by-side diff report which is what I was after, but the interleaved is close enough. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

I believe that may also be limited by your selection. Are you referring to the "Side-by-Side" report or the "Patch" report layout? Both are available if you select only text files (files that default to opening in the Text Compare). You should see the dialog titled: Text Compare Report. If you select mixed content files (such as some text files and an mp3 file), the File Compare Report command will prompt with a more generic File Compare Report dialog.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• numo
          New User
          • Feb 2011

Well this is quite cumbersome. It even includes files that do not differ.

Please, consider implementing a recursive diff of all (text) files between two folders (a Unix diff -uNr equivalent, i.e. unified, treat missing 'left' files as empty, recursive). Your software is an excellent tool and this is in moment the feature I am missing the most.

Thanks.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

It is possible to generate a recursive report showing the contents of only different files.

Here's how in BC3:

Load folders in the Folder Compare.
            In the Comparison tab of "Session > Session Settings", check "Compare Contents" and select "rules-based comparison".
            Edit > Expand All.
            View > Show Differences.
            Edit > Select All Files.
            Actions > File Compare Report.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...