• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smcpoland
    Visitor
    • Jan 2011

How to ignore file extension?

Hi,

how do I tell FldrCmpr to ignore file extensions? for example I have FLAC library and a M4A library - I just need to check that they are in sync. ignoring timestamps, sizes and Extension.

TAI, regards
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 Pro has a feature called Alignment Overrides. It is available in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab. Here you can setup a logical rule for the alignment, such as:
    *.flac = *.m4a

If you do not have BC3 Pro, you can enable trial mode to try out the feature to see if it works well for you before purchase:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by smcpoland
      how do I tell FldrCmpr to ignore file extensions?
      No way I know... since this feature was removed upon BC2 > BC3. I have found no better workaround than the one Aaron suggests.
      Last edited by chrisjj; 14-Feb-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Lutz
        Veteran
        • Oct 2007

AFAIK it was not removed, but replaced by the more powerful Alignment Overrides. So Aarons suggestion is no workaround, but the solution (unfortunately not for Standard users).

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

The "Ignore file extension" session setting was removed. Alignment Overrides does not replace it - you'd have to specify hundreds of overrides to get the same effect.
          Last edited by chrisjj; 18-Jan-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Lutz
            Veteran
            • Oct 2007

Do you have a use case where you need hundreds of overrides or is this just a theoretical number?
            If you have a use case, can you please explain in a few words, perhaps I've overseen another useful opportunity to use BC?

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

I'll second Lutz's request. We didn't remove the feature to be difficult; we discussed it internally and based on what our customers were asking for, we believed the new behavior would handle the vast majority of existing cases while also being more flexible. We are still open to bringing "Ignore Extensions" back, and more use cases would help that.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Lutz
                Do you have a use case where you need hundreds of overrides or is this just a theoretical number?
                If you have a use case, can you please explain in a few words, perhaps I've overseen another useful opportunity to use BC?
                Comparing two audio or photo libraries of mixed file formats.

AO *.*=*.* doesn't work (still).

I have to use:

*.*=*.mp3
                *.*=*.m4a
                *.*=*.flac
                *.*=*.ogg
                *.*=*.wav
                *.*=*.aiff

and repeat all of those swapped L-R.

This is a big time waster, especially since BC's UI makes me paste in that list piecemeal.

If there's a better solution in BC, please do say.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Do you just have one large folder structure with various file types, with random file types in the same folder structure on the other side? If so then declaring all of them as you have is the best workaround.

Normally, I would expect for two different libraries to contain subfolders with specific file types (such as an iTunes folder that contains only mp4). The subfolders can then be saved each as their own comparison with the appropriate Alignment Overrides (*.* = mp4). This would help compartmentalize comparing such a varied library.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Oct 2007

While I value alignment overrides, personally I agree with the opinion that using alignment overrides to compare files of different types is, more often than not, a waste of time. In most cases, simply ignoring the file extension would be preferable/easier.
                    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• raywood
                      Expert
                      • Mar 2010

Ignore Extensions, Please

Where did y'all say the Alignment Overrides option is?

I, too, would prefer a simple setting allowing me to ignore extensions. My scenario: I have an old hard drive. It has data on it. I think most of the data is outdated, in comparison to a new drive, but I have found that some of it is not (e.g., there are files on the old one that don't appear to be on the new one).

The old drive seems to have some of the same files with different extensions. Apparently there was a file conversion effort, changing .txt (and maybe .doc, .jpg, who knows?) files into .pdf. There may be an executive decision to retain the .pdfs and discard the .jpgs etc. where files otherwise have the same filenames. In that case, what's my best approach?

It takes a while to run a comparison of these two drives, and then it takes a lot of time to go down through the lists and view what I've got. I'd much rather not have to repeat that for two or three passes, as I guess what extensions (.bmp? .png? .htm?) are involved and then discover more.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                        Carpal Tunnel
                        • Oct 2007

Session Settings, Misc. tab
                        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• raywood
                          Expert
                          • Mar 2010

In version 3.1, I don't have a Misc. tab. Do I need to upgrade for this?

Comment

• Lutz
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2007

As Aaron said in his first reply of this thread, it's a PRO feature and I'm really sure it's available in 3.1, so you don't need to update to 3.2 but to upgrade to PRO-version.
                            You then may go on using 3.1 as PRO applying your new register key.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• raywood
                              Expert
                              • Mar 2010

Does Pro mean a paid copy? I have that. But it still doesn't seem to have a Misc. tab.

Comment

Working...