Quote Originally Posted by knut View Post
The unicode features: Are they only for Unicode systems? Up to now I found no need for the features. Is it for the Linux version? I'm using Win XP and Win 7.
The UTF-8 bit in the .bcss header will only be set when creating snapshots OS X/Linux. It could be used on Windows to save some space, but BC2 wouldn't decode the filenames correctly.

On Windows the UTF-8 name in the extended file headers is included for any file with extended (non-ASCII) characters. If you only use filenames in your native language you don't need them. It's included to support mixing languages (Greek/CJK/Thai/Cyrillic/etc) and for cases where you move snapshots between systems with different native languages.

I updated my previous post again and added snapshots containing mixed filenames from both Windows and Linux so you can see the difference. There's also a second pair showing the case where the source path needs UTF-8 encoding. Those 4 are all compressed. If you want to see what they look like if you don't use the Unicode features just load them in BC2.

Quote Originally Posted by knut View Post
The path in the header: Can I see the path anywhere in BC3? I didn't knew, that it was stored before I looked at the internals. (I'm not missing it, just curiosity).
If you double click a .bcss file in Explorer BC reads the header and loads a comparison with the snapshot on one side and the original path on the other.