X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

12204 Delete caused hang

I did Delete on a 1.6Gb folder. The progress went to 95% and then stopped, progress status saying "Waiting". 30 mins later, switching back to the app finds it is hung - does not repaint its window.

Any idea why?

What can BC Delete wait for?

While BC is in this hung state, is there any info I can collect for debugging?
    Last edited by chrisjj; 23-Dec-2010, 05:31 PM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Once recovered from the hang, were you able to delete the rest of the folder using BC3? Was there any information in the log? If you are not already doing so, you can enable auto-saved logs in the Tools menu -> Options, Folder Views, Log to capture logging data automatically.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Further info: the "Waiting" string appeared in the position that Delete normally uses for the filename, so I do not actually know it was a status message rather than a filename.

> Once recovered from the hang, were you able to
      > delete the rest of the folder using BC3?

Yes.

> Was there any information in the log?

I was unable to tell because BC's window was all white and log file saving was not enabled.

> If you are not already doing so, you can enable auto-saved logs in the
      > Tools menu -> Options, Folder Views, Log to capture logging data automatically.

I'd rather not take that risk while there's apparently no limit to the amount of disc space that could use.

Could you answer my question above: What can BC Delete wait for?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Delete was probably waiting for an OS call to return, but it never did. It would be difficult to determine what state your computer was in to cause this issue if it is not reproducible. Maybe it was critically low on resources?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

> Delete was probably waiting for an OS call to return, but it never did. It
          > would be difficult to determine what state your computer was in to cause
          > this issue if it is not reproducible.

It would be easier if the message was less vague or detail was logged somewhere.

Comment

Working...