12204 Suggestion: Don't report "x Cancelled"...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

12204 Suggestion: Don't report "x Cancelled"...

... when the comparison operation in fact was terminated by BC Out of Memory.

Particularly since the misleading message is at the top of the window and hence most prominent, and the clarifying one is right at the bottom where it is easily overlooked.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks. What type of compare are you running that is running into this situation. Could you post a screenshot?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

> What type of compare are you running that is running into this situation.

Text Compare (2-way).

> Could you post a screenshot?

In return, could you please give my forum attachment allowance some free space? The lack, and imageshack.us workaround's slowness deters me from posting images here.

Comment

• chrisjj
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Apr 2008

Here's a replacement

for the original defaced by BC3's sluggish repaint.

Please pass to the Devs the suggestion that this BC repaint should do better than 4sec on a 3GHz Pentium with 2Gb RAM.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for the screenshot, Chris. I'll make a tracker entry to look into it.

BC3 is sluggish because it looks like you opened up two 2gig text files on a machine with only 2 gigs of ram. This would definitely run out of ram and would be swapping with the harddrive. Any other program you open this size of data should see similar behavior, unless it does not open the entire file.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

> This would definitely run out of ram and would be swapping with the harddrive.

During a repaint?? I do hope not.

> Any other program you open this size of data should see similar
            > behavior, unless it does not open the entire file.

Not reproduced here. E.g. The repaint of Textpad holding those same two files is virtually instant.

Comment

Working...