X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g4mby
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2008

No cursor in Full Edit or Text Edit mode

If I try to edit a file in Full Edit mode I cannot see a cursor in either the left or right hand window of a Text Compare session. If I switch to Text Edit mode, again no cursor. I do get a cursor in the small window which displays the current line though. The Windows version works as it should and as my only desktop now runs Linux, I need this to work properly.

Is this a bug or a problem with my Linux installation? I see this on both Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 using build 13046.

Is anyone else seeing this?
  • David
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2009

There has been one other report of this so far. However, I have not been able to repeat it here yet. The other user did report that he had compiz running. I have tried without compiz and with compiz on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 and have not seen it. But I would be interested to know if you also have compiz running.

David
    David J Scooter Software

Comment

• g4mby
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply David. I'm sorry I couldn't reply earlier but I've not had much time to look at this problem. Yes, I do have compiz running but any attempt to stop it has resulted in some unusual display problems. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

However, on one occasion I did see a non-flashing cursor in the right hand pane but I could not move it in any direction. I'll try and gather some more information for you over the holiday period.
      Last edited by g4mby; 27-Dec-2010, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• g4mby
        Journeyman
        • Apr 2008

Sorry for not replying earlier but my Linux installations have gone through many changes over the last few months. I'm now using Kubuntu 11.04 fully updated to what is probably now beta 2. No compiz, no cursor. As no-one has updated this thread since Christmas it seems that its not a common problem.

So, I guess it may well be the end of the line for me here as BC is virtually unusable for editing text comparisons. I still have BC installed on my Windows laptop but its not so easy and convenient to use and I try to use my Linux desktop in preference to my Windows laptop when at home.

Any developments at Scooter Software regarding this bug?

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

When you installed your OS upgrades, did you perform clean installations or did you perform upgrade installs. Going from Ubuntu to Kubuntu, I would assume a clean install, but I would just like to verify.

Also, what kind of graphics card are you currently using and which driver version? Have you been updating your graphics drivers as well?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• g4mby
            Journeyman
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
            Hello,

When you installed your OS upgrades, did you perform clean installations or did you perform upgrade installs. Going from Ubuntu to Kubuntu, I would assume a clean install, but I would just like to verify.

Also, what kind of graphics card are you currently using and which driver version? Have you been updating your graphics drivers as well?
            Thanks for your reply Aaron.

My current installation was on a newly formatted drive. Previous installations were likewise, I've never actually upgraded from one version to another. The Maverick installation that I had was also a new install and always kept up to date. My graphics card is an ATI HD4350 using Kubuntu's own drivers. The proprietary AMD/ATI drivers are not always compatible with the current release or perform strangely at times, for instance not displaying the start-up and shut-down screens correctly, so I don't use them.

Unfortunately BC is the only application that is giving me this problem on what is a very stable and reliable OS.

Comment

• David
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2009

Hi,

I am wondering if you also have trouble with focus shifting to dialog windows. For example in a text edit session if you open up a 'find dialog' (Ctrl-F) does the focus automatically shift to the "text to find" edit box? Or do you have to mouse click in that edit box to be able to make changes? The other customer that is having caret issues also has these focus issues. I am wondering if the two of you are seeing the same thing.

Thanks

David Jenkins
              David J Scooter Software

Comment

• g4mby
                Journeyman
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by David
                For example in a text edit session if you open up a 'find dialog' (Ctrl-F) does the focus automatically shift to the "text to find" edit box?
                Yes, the focus shifts to the find dialog and any text inserted into it automatically is immediately editable.

Comment

• David
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2009

There is a version with a bunch of debug messages at

EDIT: (broken link. Please email [email protected] and include link to this forum post for assistance.)

This untars/unzips to a BCompare binary file. Rename /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare to /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare.orig. Move the debug version to /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare. From console prompt do
                  >> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/beyondcompare
                  >> BCompare

Then do a text compare session. This should display some text message in the console as the caret is turned on and off. If you could try this file, capture the output, and forward it on to me ([email protected]) that would be great. Thanks

David
                  Last edited by Aaron; 15-Apr-2011, 04:42 PM. Reason: Removing broken link.
                  David J Scooter Software

Comment

• g4mby
                    Journeyman
                    • Apr 2008

It seems I need a username and password to access your ftp site.

Comment

• David
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2009

I gave you the wrong link. Please email [email protected] with "No Cursor / Linux" in the subject line and we will send you the correct link.

Thanks

David
                      David J Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
                        Fanatic
                        • Nov 2007

I also have no caret in the file-compare window (full-edit mode enabled). I temporarily deleted all my xml settings but that didn't help.

One thing I noticed that was briefly mentioned is I can see the caret in the two-line display at the bottom of the window when focus is in the main part of the window. If I click in the two-line display then that caret disappears and re-appears in the main part. In either case it's not blinking and it's gray instead of the normal black.

Regarding Dave's question: "[...]if you open up a 'find dialog' (Ctrl-F) does the focus automatically shift to the "text to find" edit box?"
                        Yes and I have a normal black blinking caret that works fine.

I'll use a debug build if it would help.

BC 3.2.4 build 13298
                        Kubuntu 64bit 11.04 (official release)
                        ATI Radeon HD 5670 (using open-source "Redwood" driver)

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Thanks, Pete.

If you could also email us at [email protected] with "No Cursor / Linux" in the subject line, we can get you that debug build as well.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
                            Fanatic
                            • Nov 2007

I switched from the open-source video driver ("Redwood") to AMD's proprietary driver and now have a normal blinking caret during text compares.

I know it's not a solution for everyone and David is still investigating the problem.

p.s. I downloaded AMD's driver directly from their website (version 11.5), not with a package manager.
                            Last edited by Pete; 27-May-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• nathan
                              Visitor
                              • Jul 2014

I'm seeing the same issue

Hello,

I'm seeing the same issue: no cursor appears in full edit or text edit mode. Everything else seems to function normally.

I am using Beyond Compare 3.3.12 (build 18414) on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. Actually, I also see the same problem in BC4-beta (build 18564).

Comment

Working...