X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • V12spam
    New User
    • Dec 2010

BC v3.1.8 USB2 Sync extremely slow...

Hello, I'm currently in the middle of a ~48G transfer from an internal Sata HD to another Sata HD in a USB2 enclosure. Currently the transfer estimate is showing 43.6GB w/~251minutes remaining. I'm not sure where the bottleneck is occurring, but that works out to be around 2.5-3MBps which is far below even what crappy USB is capable of. I've tested the USB2 drive and it gets anywhere from 18-26MBps w/XP's standard drag'n drop in explorer etc.

Can someone please lend some info about this; I might as well just drag-and-drop, and compare manually w R-clk/properties if it's going to take this long?

BTW- It's an excellent program, very simple, yet robust, but these transfer rates (same as many previous and smaller data attempts) make it not even worth using for this purpose...

Thanks.

*Update* So the sync finally finished here's the numbers:

48.6GB USB2 in 4hr:37min = ~3Mpbs
    Last edited by V12spam; 11-Dec-2010, 08:58 AM. Reason: Updated info
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare uses the same copy method as Windows Explorer, the Win32 function CopyFileEx. This means it should take about the same time as a copy using Explorer.

The only reason that it might take longer is if you're using comparison criteria other than the default settings. The default only compares size and modified date, so it is fairly quick. If you do CRC, binary, or rules-based comparison, they read file contents for the comparison so they can be quite a bit slower.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• V12spam
      New User
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Chris
      Beyond Compare uses the same copy method as Windows Explorer, the Win32 function CopyFileEx. This means it should take about the same time as a copy using Explorer.

The only reason that it might take longer is if you're using comparison criteria other than the default settings. The default only compares size and modified date, so it is fairly quick. If you do CRC, binary, or rules-based comparison, they read file contents for the comparison so they can be quite a bit slower.
      Hello and thanks for replying... When you say "CRC/binary etc.," are you talking about the setting(s) under the Tools/Options/Startup, or when you have 2 folders selected for compare, then the option of said diff types of slower (but more exact) options are available to select...

That said, again this program is wonderfully simple to get started with; if I can figure out where this annoying bottleneck is coming from, I'll pretty much be done with searching for another file compare program.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The settings Chris was referring to can be found in the Folder Compare, under the Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab.

The Session Settings can control the comparison for just that specific session, or can be set as a default for all future sessions.
        Enabling the CRC column can also cause a CRC computation to trigger.

If you perform the same copy in My Computer, then BC3, how does the transfer speed compare? (performing the same copy a couple of times, alternating My Computer and BC3, helps lessen the performance gained from caching).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...