Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

My test demonstrated that a move using the WE GUI returns a different error than BC, presumably because it is not a background call and WE displays a dialog prompting the user with a set of follow-up choices:
    Try Again, Skip, Cancel
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Lutz
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

I'm a little bit confused about this thread, so I did some tests by myself:

WE rejects moving files or folders to a folder containing a file or folder with an identical name.
      All error messages correctly identify, if the target folder contains a file or a folder with the same name.
      The messagebox choices are like Retry/Try Again and Cancel (@Michael: Where did You see Skip?).

BC3.2 falsely reports an existing file instaed of an folder as chrisjj first posted.
      The replace-messagebox choices are Yes/No/Cancel. If selecting Yes, the moving fails with the error message "Unable ..." of Michaels first reply.

!!! If you try to move a FOLDER to a folder containing a FILE with the same name there are 3 issues:
      1. No warning is displayed.
      2. An empty moving folder gets lost.
      3. Not empty moving folders cause an assertion failure of BC3
      (VfsEntryImpl.pas, line 2107).

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• chrisjj
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Apr 2008

Nice report, Lutz. I hope I one day I get you testing some software of mine

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks Lutz.

The dialog and error message Beyond Compare shows match Windows XP's Explorer. Vista or Win7 updated Explorer to handle this case more gracefully. Aaron is running XP, and chrisjj didn't specify, which is why he had to ask for clarification.

Lutz's tests clearly show we have to handle this better on the front end, both in detection and in the resulting prompt. Fixing the error message itself is a separate issue, since, as Tim said, the string is provided by the OS.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Craig
            Aaron is running XP, and chrisjj didn't specify, which is why he had to ask for clarification.
            I see no request for OS ID. Mine is XP SP2.

Comment

• snidely.too
              Expert
              • Jul 2008

Which version of Windows was this?

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Lutz
                The messagebox choices are like Retry/Try Again and Cancel (@Michael: Where did You see Skip?).
                My Windows Explorer test under Windows 7 was to move a folder containing a file to a target location that held a folder of the same name as the folder I was moving.

The first dialog box was a move confirmation:
                This destination already contains a folder named 'Foldername'... Do you still want to merge this folder...with this one... Yes / No

I clicked Yes. The folder I moved contained a file that had the same name as a subfolder to the destination folder being merged into. When the move was attempted on that file, I got the second dialog with the Try Again / Skip / Cancel buttons. There was also a [ ] Do this for all current items checkbox at the bottom of the dialog.
                Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 09-Dec-2010, 12:37 AM.
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Lutz
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks Michael for clarification, I could reproduce this behavior.
                  I did my test by moving only one file or one empty folder, so WE didn't show Skip, which only makes sense in multiple file/folder operations.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

Working...