X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrianh
    Visitor
    • Nov 2010

Folder compare over slow line

I would like to do a compare of two folders, one local, the other remote somewhere on the net. I have created a SMB over SSH tunnel to it but it is rather slow. So I wanted to do a CRC comparison and then copy those that are different. This requires that I generate a snapshot. Fine. So I do that from the remote computer. Now I can compare the folders very fast. But wait, how do I transfer the different files from my local computer to the remote one?

Does it have any method to do this?

Thanks,

A
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes. While comparing Local vs. Snapshot, you can find the differences, then select the files you want to copy on the Local side and use the Copy To Folder command to copy them to a third location. This third location will be your networked folder directly, or a temp folder on the networked computer. If you copy to a temp directory, you can do one final compare of Networked Temp vs. Network Folder and transfer them over.

Also, if an option, BC3 supports the xCRC command. If you use an FTP server that also supports this command to host your Networked folder, it would make CRC Comparisons quicker. The FTP Server (that supports xCRC) would generate the codes on its side, and BC3 would generate it on the client side, and then transfer the code for comparison.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• adrianh
      Visitor
      • Nov 2010

Hmmm, Copy to Folder? So the scenario is:
      - Left, network snapshot
      - Right, local actual directory
      - Select all on left
      - Click Compare contents '=?' button.
      - Select all on left
      - Right click and select copy to folder
      And now it will copy the files to the local folder? This doesn't sound right. I assume that update right is disabled because it doesn't know where to get the files from? If so, then copy to folder should also not work.

I saw that thing about the FTP server. Unfortunately, 1. I don't have a FTP server for my WinXP box, 2. if I did, it would be a pain to setup because I am tunneling in to my work computer.

Do you know of a reliable free FTP/sFTP server that supports the xCRC command and have detailed instructions on how to do the connection? I am currently tunneling in via putty.

Thanks

A
      Last edited by adrianh; 17-Nov-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Here's the copy scenario:
        Load snapshot (with saved CRC values) on left.
        Load local directory on right.
        In the Comparison tab of Session > Session Settings, set BC to compare CRC values.
        View > Show Differences.
        Edit > Expand All.
        Edit > Select All Files.
        Shift+Right Arrow Key to select only files on the right.
        Actions > Copy to Folder.
        Enter the path to the remote server and click Start to copy.

I don't know of any free FTP servers that support XCRC. For commercial FTP server software, Serv-U (http://www.serv-u.com/) and Gene6 FTP Server (http://www.g6ftpserver.com/) both support XCRC.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• adrianh
          Visitor
          • Nov 2010

Ah, I got confused with what I am copying to where. Thanks.

Is there a way to do the copy the other way? From network to local? Since the network is only a snapshot file, how would this be done?

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Sorry, BC doesn't provide a way to go the other direction. If you want to copy from network to local, you'll have to load the network drive as a base folder.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• adrianh
              Visitor
              • Nov 2010

Even if I were to do that, I wouldn't have the CRC capability which is no good. Any suggestions?

A

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

To clarify, you do not "lose" CRC if you compare Local to Network. It is just a bit slower. How much slower is it to compare local<>remote compared to generating the CRC snapshot on the remote machine?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...