folder compare displaying differences + left side orphans ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr_and_Mrs_D
    Journeyman
    • Nov 2010

folder compare displaying differences + left side orphans ?

It only seems to support newer files and left/right side orphans

Btw congrats for your program - I have been using it for ages and never needed to use any other folder comparison util
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Differences can be determined by your currently set comparison criteria. The default is a Timestamp/Size comparison. "Newer" and "Older" files are files that have newer or older timestamps (regardless of size). "Different" files are files that have different sizes, but the timestamp is equal. "Orphan" files are blue files that appear only on one side, and are not aligned to another file.

We have various display filters to help show any specific combination of comparison status. They are under the View menu. You can also right click on the Display Filters in the toolbar and switch it to Toggles mode. This allows you to Show or Hide any individual status (all enabled => Show All. Disable only Equal => Show Differences.)

If you are still having any trouble, please let us know. A full screen screenshot may help. You can post it here, or email us at [email protected]

If you email us, please include a link back to this forum post.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Mr_and_Mrs_D
      Journeyman
      • Nov 2010

Thanks - I believe this Toggle thing will do it - I know about orphans and size/data - what I wanted was to display files that are different + left orphans - in View only has options for newer + orphans for left/right size.
      Toggle same off and right orphans off will do the trick - I have yet to try it. Thanks again.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Sure,

I would like to stress that a file will get the "Newer" status if either:
        A) The timestamp is newer and the size is the same.
        B) The timestamp is newer and the size is different.

Basically, "Different" status files (both red) is only assigned if the timestamp is equal, but the size is different.

If a content comparison is used, then by default that will override the size and timestamp if equal, but if the content compare returns different, then the file will be Newer if with a newer timestamp, and Different if timestamps are equal.

Does that help clear up the behavior you are seeing? You can always customize the comparison used in the Session Settings, Comparison tab. If you have any questions on how you would like to set this up, please just let us know.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...