Code Migration Source File management

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code Migration Source File management

We are a large investment banking institution that is currently moving over 5000 programs and procedures from a proprietary platform to UNIX using a front end interface to emmulate our previous platform. This move is taking the better part of 24 to 30 months and 8 programmers, and must happen in phases where only certain customer data moves platform each time.

This means that over the past 2 years, we have in essence been living in two distinctly different environments, and when a change happens to the business rules, the change must be made in both environments. We currently have some 15 other programmers just maintaining the regular code!

I have been using BC since the beginning of this project to keep track of all changes on a platform by platform basis. The FTP interface is saving me OUDLES of time in downloading libraries of code, by comparing directly on line.

We keep a month to month baseline of the original platform that is compared to current code, and modified files are then segregated and compared to the new UNIX code to ensure that changes have been made cross platform and that no regression occurs.

We also use BC to QA our results, comparing report output and intermediate datafiles to ensure that there are no unexpected changes as we migrate.

BC has saved us months of work, and makes programs like DIFF seem totally archane in their usage and functionality.

Of the features I like best is the ability to limit comparisons by column, as well as removing comparisons of literals and trailing / embeded spaces.

Now if I could only figure out how to have it ignore comments and/or limit it's comparisons to comment changes

• Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Code Migration Source File management

Thanks for the comments!

Now if I could only figure out how to have it ignore comments and/or limit it's comparisons to comment changes
    To ignore changes it comments use the "New" button in the "Unimportant Text" section of the file comparison rules. Most comments can be flaged using the "Delimited" category, but you may need to use the "Regular Expression" format for more complicated ones. To ignore the changes completely use the "Ignore Unimportant Differences" command in the file viewer's "View" menu.

To limit the differences to only those in comments you'll probaby want a second set of rules. Put the comment classifiers in the "String Literals" section instead of the "Unimportant Differences" one, and check the "All other text is unimportant" checkbox below that.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Re: Code Migration Source File management

<font color="blue">Are you MrKlaatu from AximSite?

Ken (uzziah0) </font>

Comment

Working...