X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcoldtimer
    Enthusiast
    • Oct 2010

Unable to create (foldername): Target path is not a valid directory

I am a long time proud owner, user and promoter of BC2 on Windows systems.

I am trying out BC3 on Ubuntu and ran into this strange problem. I was just trying to copy two folders (each with some sub-folders) from the hard drive to a USB key using the Folder Compare yellow arrow. One of the folders copied fine but the other gave 6 error messages, each of the form
    Code:
    Unable to create [I]foldername[/I]: Target path is not a valid directory
    where foldername is each of the 6 sub-folders of the folder that failed to copy.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. BC3 should be able to copy subfolder structure.

1) Which version of Ubuntu are you using (10.04?) and 32bit or 64bit?
    2) Are you using the latest release of BC3 (3.1.11) or the Beta (3.2.1)?
    3) Which filesystem is the USB key running? If you compare two local test folders on your desktop, do you run into similar issues?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcoldtimer
      Enthusiast
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Thanks for the report. BC3 should be able to copy subfolder structure.

1) Which version of Ubuntu are you using (10.04?) and 32bit or 64bit?
      2) Are you using the latest release of BC3 (3.1.11) or the Beta (3.2.1)?
      3) Which filesystem is the USB key running? If you compare two local test folders on your desktop, do you run into similar issues?
      Thanks! I am running Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit and BC 3.2.1. The USB key is FAT32.

I actually figured it out. There was a file on the USB key that had the same name as the folder that I was trying to copy from the hard drive to the USB key. I suppose the error message "Target path is not a valid directory" was "correct" in the sense that an existing file can not be made into a folder. It would be nice though if BC could give a more explicit message such as "a file with the same name as the folder you want to copy already existed on the destination drive".

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the information. This is indeed a general behavior of Linux, but I've created a tracker entry to help improve the feedback we provide when we hit this condition.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...