X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zmaker
    New User
    • Oct 2010

Open selected files in merge tabs

I'm scratching my head and maybe there isn't a way yet in BC3 to do it but.

If I open up a folder structure for comparison, I want to open all files either selected or found to be different in separate comparison tabs the same way it does if I double click a single file.

Does BC3 have a way to do this? Or am I really stuck with double clicking one at a time?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

I don't think there's a way to select multiple files in the Folder Compare and have each pair open in a separate tab.

If you double click on the first pair of different files to open them in the Text Compare, you can use the "Search > Next Difference Files (Control+M)" to cycle through all of the differences in the comparison.

Note that "Next Difference Files" restricts itself to the current folder by default. If you want to cycle through all files, select "Tools > Options". Go to the "File Views > Next Difference" section. Uncheck "Limit next difference files to current folder".
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• snidely.too
      Expert
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Chris
      I don't think there's a way to select multiple files in the Folder Compare and have each pair open in a separate tab.

If you double click on the first pair of different files to open them in the Text Compare, you can use the "Search > Next Difference Files (Control+M)" to cycle through all of the differences in the comparison.

Note that "Next Difference Files" restricts itself to the current folder by default. If you want to cycle through all files, select "Tools > Options". Go to the "File Views > Next Difference" section. Uncheck "Limit next difference files to current folder".
      You can also set this up by using the "Compare Contents" action and checking "Show results dialog". That dialog will give you a list of the files that miscompared, and the Ctrl-M will let you cycle through that list.

(Hey ... Ctrl-Shift-M didn't seem to cycle backwards, although selecting the Search menu "Previous difference files" item did work as expected.)

/dps

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Our Folder Compare does not cycle backwards through differences, either. This is by design, to let the user know when they've hit the end of the current comparison (with options to also limit it to the current folder). We include the Previous Different Files, in case the user wants to go upwards.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...