X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2007

Multiple selected lines when use down-arrow key

In File Compare, multiple selected lines are shown when I hold the down-arrow key at the bottom of the screen.

BC 3.2.1 beta build 12831 on Ubuntu 10.4
  • Pete
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2007

Sorry, I meant in "Folder Compare".

Comment

• David
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2009

Hey Pete,

Could you give a little more detail on this. I tried going to a folder compare and holding down the down-arrow key until I hit the bottom of the screen and I didn't see anything. So I believe I am not doing the same thing that you are.

Thanks

David
      David J Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Pete
        In File Compare, multiple selected lines are shown when I hold the down-arrow key at the bottom of the screen.
        I don't have Ubuntu to test. Holding shift will cause arrow down to select multiple files, but I'm sure that is not your issue. Is it possibly a display issue caused by the scroll of the window? Are multiple files actually selected? If you right click on the block of selected files, for example, and click Ignored from the context menu, do they disappear from the list?
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Pete
          Fanatic
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by David
          I tried going to a folder compare and holding down the down-arrow key until I hit the bottom of the screen and I didn't see anything.
          I don't see the problem until the rows start scrolling up. I can't think of any settings that would make my computer work differently from yours.

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
          Is it possibly a display issue caused by the scroll of the window?
          Yes.

If you right click on the block of selected files, for example, and click Ignored from the context menu, do they disappear from the list?
          When I right click on a file, it becomes the only selected file, so it seems to be a display issue rather than a selection issue.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hi Pete,

I haven't seen this behavior in my tests of Ubuntu 10.04, either. Perhaps we are doing something slightly different in our testing? Do you simply click on an item in the Folder Compare (left, right, both panes?) then hold the down arrow until it hits the bottom of the pane and begins to scroll?

Another idea is it could be driver related. Are their newer drivers available for your graphics card?

Would you be able to attach a screenshot?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
              Fanatic
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
              Another idea is it could be driver related. Are their newer drivers available for your graphics card?
              It could be driver-related. FWIW I have an ATI Radeon 9700 tx. I'm using the generic Linux drivers as opposed to ATI's proprietary ones.

I just wanted to know if other BC users were experiencing the same problem. It appears not.

One thing I've done that other people may not is to increase the repeat speed of held-down keys in Ubuntu's "System > Preferences > Keyboard". If I slow that down then the problem disappears. However, then the repeat rate is too slow for me. Maybe you can reproduce the problem that way.

I've noticed there is 100% CPU usage in this situation. This is true in both the folder compare and file compare windows. Thus it appears to be some kind of race condition, either in BC or X11 or I don't know what.

This isn't critical by any means. I've learned to use the page up/down keys which work fine. I just wanted to document the problem here.

Comment

• David
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2009

Pete,

The repeat rate is a good clue. I will try that today and see what turns up.

David
                David J Scooter Software

Comment

• David
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2009

Pete,

I tried it. I pushed the 'repeat' slider all the way to the right. I selected /usr/lib in a folder compare and then held the down arrow key down. As it scrolled I could see a solid selected file/folder at the bottom and often a flickering 'selected' file/folder right above the bottom one. However, when I reach bottom or let up the key I only have one file/folder selected. I take it that when you do this you have multiple files/folders still selected when you hit bottom or let go of the key?
                  David J Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
                    Fanatic
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by David
                    I take it that when you do this you have multiple files/folders still selected when you hit bottom or let go of the key?
                    Yes that's right, not every file, just some of them remain highlighted (random). At this point I'm guessing it's because of my older hardware (from 2002) and maxed CPU.

Comment

• David
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2009

OK. If you see anything new that implicates BC please let us know.

David
                      David J Scooter Software

Comment

Working...