• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MARollins
    New User
    • Apr 2008

Difficulty getting Session Settings | Replacements working

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting regular expressions to work in the replacement options in session settings for a text file comparison.

I have no problem when when it is static text, so for example anywhere "John Doe" appears in the left file, then ignore "Bill Smith" in the right, seems to work fine.

However, if I wanted to say anywhere "John Doe", "Jim Doe", "Jenny Doe" appears then ignore "Bill Smith", "Ben Smith", "Bob Smith", then I can try regular expression "J\w* Doe" in the left and "B\w* Smith" in the right, but this doesn't work. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Unfortunately, Text Replacements do not allow the regular expression matching on the right/destination side. Text Replacements can define the equal text, but different text must be explicitly stated. For example: John* = Ben*, John* = Bob*, and John* = Bill*.

If you are looking to ignore the name itself, you can define it as Unimportant Text. Then, however it appears, it can be considered Unimportant. If it is aligned to another name, and both are unimportant, then the difference can be ignored. If it aligns to an Important difference, then that difference will still be shown in the interface.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3

How does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• MARollins
      New User
      • Apr 2008

This works fine for what I need.

Thanks Aaron.

Comment

Working...