Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you Aaron,

yes I am using the, "Never align differences" option.

I see the differences without the need of any filtering...

the only problem now is that no matter how i set it up (I am likely in the wrong place), I puts the differences in the *.txt files on the very next line. And I have to save the merged file and then go and manually add lines to give some space between the different lines.. (does that make sense?)

Example:

merged_file.txt

1. text
    2. <space i have to manually add here after saving the merged file>
    3. text

other than this.. I am getting the merging to happen. thank you.. this would have taken me literally days to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dankk View Post
    I have to save the merged file and then go and manually add lines to give some space between the different lines.. (does that make sense?)
    That is because the blank lines in each file perfectly match each other and align with each other.

Left File:
    leftline1
    blank line
    leftline2
    blank line
    leftline3

etc.

Right File:
    rightline1
    blank line
    Rightline2
    blank line
    Rightline3

etc.

Merged File:
    leftline1
    rightline1
    aligned blank lines
    leftline2
    rightline2
    aligned blank lines
    leftline3
    rightline3

etc.

Since BC3 compares on a line-by-line basis, there is really no way around this. In other words, even if you create a multi-line grammar to include the blank line with the preceding text in a single grammar element, BC3 will still mismatch the text and align the blank lines instead of treating the whole multi-line element as different and grouping the entire element (text and following blank line) separately on each side.

I would suggest opening the merged file in another editor (UltraEdit for example) and performing a Perl regular expression find and replace:

Find: (\r\n)+
    Replace with: \r\n\r\n

This would ensure that every line is followed by exactly two carriage return/life feeds (exactly one blank line)
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 13-Sep-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks for the useful comment... It isn't something that I need to do since I can zing through it ("it" being the merged files I just finished...) pretty quick without worrying about that.. Mine was a simple need. I think BC3 is just plain too much for such things.

This is fine if that is the purpose of BC dev's (to do more complicated things exclusively)... If not, this should be addressed by a wizard or something for those that don't have time to learn how to do this sort of thing. Just some thoughts...

The bottom line is the help from this forum -minus the DOS command- was very useful. Thanks for the help. I still prefer BC2.

What is it, exactly, that you prefer about BC2?

BC3 adds a whole lot of new functionality including full screen editing and a 3-way merge session. The 3-way merge session is specifically for merging two different versions of the same file using a common ancestor (an older version of the file from which both newer versions evolved). The merge session analyzes both files against the common ancestor to automatically determine what changes were made to each file. The merge session then applies both sets of changes to the common ancestor to create a new merged file that contains a combination of all changes from both files.

A 3-way merge is most often used with source control/version management software that archives versioned copies of source files. A 3-way merge can only be expected to work smoothly when the center file is actually a common ancestor. Using a merge session to compare 3 different current iterations of a file (without a common ancestor) may generate unexpected results. It does not sound like you have a common ancestor for your password files. It sounds like you just have different versions of a file which have all evolved differently over time. If a 3-way merge session doesn't work for this task, don't use it. Use a 2-way file compare just as you would have in BC2.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ