• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeroZ
    New User
    • Jan 2004

ZIP64 - problem with _big_ ZIP file

Hi ...

I just encountered that BeyondCompare 2.1.1 (215) shares a common problem with various programs with ZIP support: Huge ZIP files are a problem.
    I'm talking about ZIP files of more than 2 GB. I'm using a backup solution that creates primary, incremental or differental backups using regular ZIP files - called "BackUp Maker" www.backupmaker.com. Those ZIPs can be stored on DVD media (in my case DVD+R(W)) - so my last primary backup ZIP was 2,44 GB (2.622.726.027 Bytes) large and contained 46336 files.

Beyond Compare can't access it. Actually many ZIP compatible programs using the Info-ZIP free libraries from http://www.info-zip.org/ can't handle files that big. - Anyway: WinZIP 8 and a few other ZIP tools can: The archive is in perfect condition.

... So: May there be hope for a ZIP64 compatible ZIP plug-in that will be able to handle ZIP files that big?

Bye -- and thanks in advance!

Gero
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: ZIP64 - problem with _big_ ZIP file

Hi Gero,

Once we add support for plug-in archive types it shouldn't be too difficult to create an external zip plug-in, provided you had a library that supported the ZIP64 standard. It's also possible that we'll eventually add native support for larger files.

This won't be any time soon though. I won't give specific version or date estimates, but I don't think there's any chance we'll have this fixed in 2004.

Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...