X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerrywilliams
    New User
    • Jan 2004

File "Access Denied"

I cannot transfer many files with error message "access denied." Other files do transfer. The "access denied" files are not in use, are not hidden or otherwise limited. They have the same file attributes, as far as I can see, as the others that were transferred. Both machines running XP Pro w/ SP1. Thoughts?
    JerryWilliams

Re: File \"Access Denied\"

I've seen the same problem, but only when dealing with syncing my development files to/from my laptop. Seems to be something about the files created by Visual Studio that makes them inaccessible. Very odd, but I've never bothered to spend the time on it, since the files are recreated when rebuilding the app anyway...
    Goldstar Software Inc.
    Building on Btrieve(R) for the Future(SM)
    Bill Bach
    [email protected]
    http://www.goldstarsoftware.com
    *** Pervasive.SQL Service & Support Classes ***
    Chicago: March, 2004: See our web site for details!

Comment

• jdmarch
      Fanatic
      • Oct 2007

I've noticed that some apps (particularly MS Office) sometimes keep a lock on some files even after those files have been "closed". Under those conditions, quitting the app usually seems to release the lock. On rare occasions, though (not seen in recent SPs of Win2k), I have actually had to reboot to release the lock.

In any case, I doubt if this is a BC issue.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts.
        The "access denied" issue arises with many programs I use, including MS Word, Word Perfect, Adobe Acrobat, SacnSoft PaperPort. It also blocks .txt files saved from Outlook Express mail. I have tried rebooting with no change in the blocked files. The files blocked are random - meaning one file is blocked and the very next one, created in the same session, by the same program is not. Would love to have an answer. I use it for business travel - desktop to laptop thing.

In any event, BC is losing its value to me with this problem.
        Thanks for any help.
        Jerry

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Jerry,

Since this isn't specific to BC I can't offer specific tips, but here are a few Microsoft knowledge base articles that may help:
          <ul type="square">[*]Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP
          [*]"Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Copy a File to a Web Folder That Is Configured with Integrated Authentication
          [*]File Lock or Access Denied Error Message When You Save Files Over the Network
          [*]Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP SP1 Clients That Require SMB Signing[/list]
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• mdes
            • Apr 2008

Did you try Process Explorer from SysInternals to see which process is blocking your files ?
            Michel Dessaintes
            Modérateur du Forum Francophone & Traducteur Officiel de BC2/BC3/BC4 en Français

Comment

Craig
              Thanks for the resources. I will look them up and read. As a workaround to this problem, I am required to use plain old Windows Explorer. I get no "access denied" problem with that rudimentary tool. It works; BC does not. I also use gotomypc.com to transfer files with no problem. I do hope those MS articles solve this issue.
              Jerry

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Are you using BC 2.1? It uses the same copy routine as Explorer, so I'd expect it to behave the same way. BC 2.0 used a custom copy routine, so it could have run into different problems.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Michel
                  Thank you. At your suggestion, I got the product you suggest. However, it is beyond my skills. I did not know what to do with the information it gave me.
                  Jerry

Comment

Craig
                    I am using 2.1.1. (Build 215) The problem existed before with 2.1, and still exists with the recent upgrade. I read the four MS articles you suggested and none seems to apply - to my untechnical mind. I have no problem copying the files over the internet or using my wireless network with Explorer. Only BC refuses to allow the copy by giving me the "access denied" message on some, but not all files.
                    Jerry

Comment

I am also having the same problem.. and i'm using a server, and have verified permissions are set right. It worked a couple of times, now nothing. I too have been forced to manually copy everything using windows explorer. I use BC to see which files have changed, and then spend time manually copying everything. See my post "File Synchronization problems" beneath yours.

Comment

• jdmarch
                        Fanatic
                        • Oct 2007

I use BC to see which files have changed, and then spend time manually copying everything.
                        I suggest that you use Total Commander until this is tracked down and fixed in BC. It's a 2-panel file explorer that is vastly superior to Windows Explorer. It can even compare 2 folders, show you which ones have changed and copy them, in a few keystrokes, though as a folder/file comparison tool it does not have the power or friendliness of BC. Still, it's good to have more than one screwdriver in your toolbox.

Comment

I've recently started having the same problem. In my case, I have a new computer connected via wireless. All files can by sync'd except 2 - both .padb extensions. These are encrypted data files. Also, Windows Explorer give the same Access Denied message.

I checked the MS knowledge base and none seem to apply since all file in the folder sync just fine.

Anyone have any idea why these two files wouldn't sync?
                          Thanks,
                          Larry

Comment

Never mind. Upon further checking, I made some changes to permissions and now they sync just fine. Strange though that all the other files in that folder sync'd fine, but these two didn't.

Larry

Comment

I am having the same problem with version 2.1.2 (build 216). Checked out the help files and cannot figure it out. Any suggestions on different software that can accomplish the same tasks as BC. Would love to sync portable with work pc. This is very iritating bug.

Thanks,
                              Murray

Comment

Working...