• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reinhard
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2009

"Open with" on files in zip archives?

Hi!

is it possible to start an application with the "open with" dialog, when the file to open is residing in a zip archive?

I got an error. Or do I have to make a special arrangement for that, tailored for WinRAR, 7Zip or alike?

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Beyond Compare passes the exact path of the file, including in the zip. If the program knows how to handle a patch that includes a zip file (such as c:\folder\archive.zip\test.txt), then it should be able to work with our Open With command.

If you create a custom Open With that calls Beyond Compare, we are able to handle the paths. Which program are you using, and can it handle a path passed in from the command line pointing to a file within an archive?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Reinhard
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2009

Got it. Now I understand why it didn't work for me. I assumed that the files are extracted/re-imported to the archive by BC, itself, and passed to the program as a copy.

Originally posted by Aaron
      Which program are you using, and can it handle a path passed in from the command line pointing to a file within an archive?
      Tried to use PAINT.NET, DXTBmp (a DDS image processing tool) and some other game-modding related tools.

I guess there is no chance, because probably none of them will ever be able to deal with paths poking into an archive.

Thanks for Listening, Aaron.
      Reinhard
      Last edited by Reinhard; 15-Jul-2010, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

No problem.

One bit of advice: you could try creating a custom Open With command in Beyond Compare that would run the extraction process for you to a temporary location. Would these files need to be saved back into the archive, or are you opening them just to view them?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Reinhard
          Journeyman
          • Apr 2009

Just for viewing them.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello Reinhard,

You could create a .bat file that first calls your installed zip program to perform an unzip from the command line to a temporary location, then call the program you wish to view the file on that temporary version. Once this is setup to run on a specific file, you can replace that filename/location with a .bat file command line variable (%1).

In BC3, you can then set the Open With to call this bat file on a specific selection, use the %f parameter, and that parameter can be accessed within the .bat file as %1.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Reinhard
              Journeyman
              • Apr 2009

Yes, thanks, will try it later.

Hope one of that archivers understand the "c:\folder\archive.zip\test.txt" syntax. My poor windows batch language knowledge is ages old.

Comment

Working...