Support the Subversion as the external diff tool.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support the Subversion as the external diff tool.

I am using Subversion (windows version), the compelling replacement for CVS and quite happy with it. It supports the external diff tools. Beyond compare, in my point of view, is the best
    diff tools in the world up to now. My two question are:
    a. will it support SVN beging the external diff tool?
    b. Will it be ported to Linux?
    Thanks.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Support the Subversion as the external diff tool.

As far as I can tell you should be able to setup Beyond Compare as Subversion's external diff utility by editing the "config" file in your confirguration area (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Subversion). Just uncomment the "diff-cmd" line and put the path to BC after it.

I don't have time to get Subversion up and running to test it, but if you can confirm that that works I'll add it to our version control page.

We are considering a Linux port, but we aren't committing to any specifics right now.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for your reply. After struggling for several hours reading the messages, I made the beyond compare as the
      external diff for subversion.
      The diff-cmd should point to a batch wrapper.
      diff-cmd = "path_to_wrapper/diff_wrapper.bat"

Below is the only line in the batch file.
      "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 2\BC2.EXE" %6 %7 /fileviewer /silent
      So please add Subversion to your version control page.
      The performance is the main issue, it takes more then
      10 seconds to have the diff-view poped out.
      I am a newbie to Beyondcompare. Is there any option to
      tune up the performance.

Expecting Linux version really soon.

Comment

Re: Support the Subversion as the external diff to

Hi,

I'm using BC + Subversion + the marvellous GUI TortoiseSVN. Works perfectly. I just had to set the BC executable in the Settings... dialog of TortoiseSVN.

BTW: Are there any plans to
        - support displaying unified diff formated diffs in BC
        - come up with a three-way merge tool / conflict editor ... with the same amazing quality and user-friendliness like BC of course ;-)

This would make it the perfect complement to subversion.

Regards
        GUH

Comment

I didn't see any benefit using a Gui interface for a version control tool. Maybe I should have a try. But mainly
          I would like to stick at CLI and it is more efficient. That
          is why I expect Beyond Compare Linux version.

Here is a link listing many diff tools. http://www.foldermatch.com/fmcompetitors.htm
          After trying some of them, Beyond compare seems
          to be among the best.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the tips. I've just added a Subversion entry to the VCS knowledge base.

The batch file can tell BC the descriptions of the files too. Here's the command we're recommending:

"C:\Progra~1\Beyond~1\bc2.exe" "%6" /title1=%3 "%7" /title2=%5

The speed issue is something outside of BC. I set up Subversion to tested the example, and it displayed the view for a simple working-to-head comparison in under a second. Are you using the latest Subversion release, and does it take long to display the diff using their built-in support?
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Are there any plans to
              - support displaying unified diff formated diffs in BC
              - come up with a three-way merge tool / conflict editor
              Reading diff files and 3-way comparisons are both on the wishlist. We have a bunch of things planned for v3, but we aren't going to publically commit to specific features until it's much closer to release.

Expecting Linux version really soon.
              A Linux port falls into the same category as the above. We are looking into it, but I seriously doubt there being a full-featured Linux release in 2004.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Sorry for the noise about the performance. The delay is acutally related to Subversion itself. I did the test with internal diff and it turned out to be the same result.
                Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks for the tips. I've just added a Subversion entry to the VCS knowledge base.

The batch file can tell BC the descriptions of the files too. Here's the command we're recommending:

"C:\Progra~1\Beyond~1\bc2.exe" "%6" /title1=%3 "%7" /title2=%5

The speed issue is something outside of BC. I set up Subversion to tested the example, and it displayed the view for a simple working-to-head comparison in under a second. Are you using the latest Subversion release, and does it take long to display the diff using their built-in support?

Comment

Linux port

I am a BIG fan of Beyond Compare. It is one of the first things I install on any computer. So let me throw my weight behind the requests for a Linux port as well! It is one of the main things I miss when I use the K Desktop Environment instead of Windows...

I know you are considering it. This is just a post to let you know there are more interested customers out here.

Comment

I tried to use BC with subversion and tourtoiseSVN creating the bat you wrote above and inserting C:\Programmi\BeyondCompare\svn.bat
                    in the tourtoise settings.
                    Unfortunately BC is opened but without loading the files in the left and right side.
                    Any advice?

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

That .bat file is for use with the command line Subversion's built in command line tools. To use BC with TortoiseSVN, you can probably use syntax like:
                      bc2 /fv %base %mine in the external tool settings.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Could you explain a little more. This did not work for me. Are those variables verbatim? Or do I need to replace them with something.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Comment

• Zoë
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

The instructions for integrating with TortoiseSVN is different than the Subversion instructions. Both are listed in our version control knowledge base article:
                          http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?c=kb_vcs.php
                          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Here's my setting for TortoiseSVN. I'd suggest that you also include a /rightreadonly or /leftreadonly so that you don't accidentally modify the subversion base file, which may cause problems.

"C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 2\BC2.exe" /fv /rightreadonly %mine %base

Comment

Working...