X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drdca
    Visitor
    • Mar 2010

multiple folders per session

I'm probably missing something obvious here. I want to set up a session to compare multiple folders:

c:\users\me\documents f:\users\me\documents
    c:\work f:\work

And I'm darned if I can see how to do that!

Assuming I don't come to my senses soon, could someone point me in the right direction please?

cheers, Dallas
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Dallas,

No problem, Dallas. Our support forums are specifically for asking questions like this.

The easiest solution would be to setup 2 separate sessions, but from your example you could also setup a single session and use file name filters to narrow down your results.

Your pair of base folders should be the lowest common point, which in this case would be:
    c:\ <=> f:\
    Then setup file name filters in the Session menu -> Session Settings -> Name filters tab.
    Include the folders:
    .\work
    .\users\me\documents

This should give you the results you are looking for. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrroe
      Pooh-Bah
      • Oct 2007

Hi Dallas,

I think, the feature you are looking for is the workspace management in the session menu.

Bye
      Christoph

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks, Christoph.

Yes, you could also load two tabs, each showing a different pair of folders, at once easily by opening the tabs and folders (and even sizing and positioning them as you wish).

Then Save the workspace in the Session menu. Launching Beyond Compare and loading the workspace will reopen any windows, size and position them, as needed.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• drdca
          Visitor
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Aaron

Your pair of base folders should be the lowest common point, which in this case would be:
          c:\ <=> f:\
          Then setup file name filters in the Session menu -> Session Settings -> Name filters tab.
          Include the folders:
          .\work
          .\users\me\documents

This should give you the results you are looking for. Let us know if you have any questions.
          This didn't work for me -- I should probably have given you the full details instead of trying to be clever. :-)
          I'm trying sync (update both):
          C:\Users\Dallas\Documents <--> \\PEREGRINE\Users\Dallas\Documents
          c:\work\GRBackPro Working Area <--> \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\WORK\GRBackPro Working Area

I can do it with 2 tabs (thanks for the suggestions!), but that means I have to look inside both tabs (FAR too much work! <g>). So I like the idea you've given, but it seems to generate an awful lot of files in the root that then have to be filtered. I'm still missing something, i think?

Thanks!
          cheers, Dallas

Comment

• drdca
            Visitor
            • Mar 2010

Thanks, Christoph.

Yes, you could also load two tabs, each showing a different pair of folders, at once easily by opening the tabs and folders (and even sizing and positioning them as you wish).

Then Save the workspace in the Session menu. Launching Beyond Compare and loading the workspace will reopen any windows, size and position them, as needed.
            thanks, Aaron and Christoph - I'm using this for now, but as you can see I'm not quite happy. :-)

Cheers!

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

If there is not a common base folder you will need to use two tabs, but which files are presented that need to be filtered out? Since you are using two tabs, you can set the base folders at the lowest, specific level. File Name filters can also be set generally (-*.jpg to filter out all jpg files, for example). Filters are also saved in the session, so reloading the session will set the filters.

Which files are presented that you want to filter out?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• drdca
                Visitor
                • Mar 2010

Hello,

If there is not a common base folder you will need to use two tabs, but which files are presented that need to be filtered out? Since you are using two tabs, you can set the base folders at the lowest, specific level. File Name filters can also be set generally (-*.jpg to filter out all jpg files, for example). Filters are also saved in the session, so reloading the session will set the filters.

Which files are presented that you want to filter out?
                The only common base is the root, so you can picture how many file types are involved! And being me, I've no idea what file types I'll be looking for within the specific folders -- could be anything. The two tab approach works, and there aren't that many files in the "work" folder anyway. Thanks!

Cheers, Dallas

Comment

• Lutz
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2007

Hi Dallas!

I'm shure it's not possible to manage your sync in only one tab with those paths:
                  Originally posted by drdca
                  ...I'm trying sync (update both):
                  C:\Users\Dallas\Documents <--> \\PEREGRINE\Users\Dallas\Documents
                  c:\work\GRBackPro Working Area <--> \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\WORK\GRBackPro Working Area...
                  The reason is, that you don't have a common base folder on the right side.
                  You can only load a (one) network share as a base folder on one side, but you have two shares (Users & C-Drive) on host PEREGRINE.

If both shares are on one logical drive you may use the drive share (C$) or another share containing both paths (Dallas\... & WORK\...).
                  From your example I would expect that \\PEREGRINE\Users is also accessible as \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\Users.

If this is possible you can setup a session with the base folders C:\ and \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive.

To prevent loading unwanted files and folders you have to set Name Filters/Exclude files to ".\*" (files in the base folder) and Name Filters/Include folders to ".\Users\Dallas\Documents" and ".\work\GRBackPro Working Area".

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• drdca
                    Visitor
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Lutz
                    Hi Dallas!

I'm shure it's not possible to manage your sync in only one tab with those paths:

The reason is, that you don't have a common base folder on the right side.
                    You can only load a (one) network share as a base folder on one side, but you have two shares (Users & C-Drive) on host PEREGRINE.

If both shares are on one logical drive you may use the drive share (C$) or another share containing both paths (Dallas\... & WORK\...).
                    From your example I would expect that \\PEREGRINE\Users is also accessible as \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\Users.

If this is possible you can setup a session with the base folders C:\ and \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive.

To prevent loading unwanted files and folders you have to set Name Filters/Exclude files to ".\*" (files in the base folder) and Name Filters/Include folders to ".\Users\Dallas\Documents" and ".\work\GRBackPro Working Area".
                    You're quite right about the dual share. It was sloppy thinking on my part. I'll play with the filters - I've never done much with them (my wants are simple, what can I say? <g>). Good idea -- thanks!

Cheers, Dallas

Comment

• bcdewul
                      Old Hand
                      • Sep 2010

I too was / am looking for an easy way to compare 4-5 folders with the same set on a backup drive (in 1 compare set).
                      same for sync, same for backup drive 2, etc.

Based on the below, frankly, I was not able to figure out how to do this, in an easy way.
                      So in the end I gave up and leave it having a lot of different sets (1 set per folderpair).

To set up a multiple folder compare set, I would expect the following:

Session New, select folder compare
                      Select source drive / browse (collapse folders)

Then
                      I would expect there would be something under view/columns that enables selectionbox - something like
                      [X] Folder1
                      [_] Folder2
                      [X] Folder3
                      [X]Subfolder1
                      [_]Subfolder2

etc.
                      Both inn the left and right panel.

I.e. users to tag various folders in left and right, that should be compared or synchronized.

I gave it a try with session, name filters, but personally I think it is unhandy having to manually add
                      D:\folder1\subfolder2\subsubfolder3 bla bla.

Hopefully it will be made easier in future.

tia
                      =

Comment

• Lutz
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2007

I think I suggested this long time ago.

The selection box is an idea that may be thouht of for any case of selection.
                        Independent of this an "Include"-action should be added (Filters only selected items for comparision).

As a workaround I first "Exclude" then move the file/folder-names from the exclude side to the include side in the Name Filters tab of Session Settings.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

• bcdewul
                          Old Hand
                          • Sep 2010

Well, maybe one day, at version 4 or so, this idea will be implemented. I guess (together with you) it is a much easier way to handle things. BC3 is a good product, it definitely is,
                          but this specific thing, I think should be improved.

Hope developers will look at this thread.
                          Hope other users will support the idea as well

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. As is, how does Lutz's workaround work for you? Instead of checking specific items you want, you check (exclude) the items you do not want. These items are then hidden from view unless you Suppress Filters.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
                              Old Hand
                              • Sep 2010

Have given it a try - never used the exclude filter sofar.
                              But .. have to confess .. it definitely looks nice and workable.
                              The more so as it allows to ctrl-shift select a lot of folders in 1 go
                              (not tag one by one)

Thanks a lot to you both.

I'll use this more often.
                              =

Comment

Working...