Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5

    Default multiple folders per session

    I'm probably missing something obvious here. I want to set up a session to compare multiple folders:

    c:\users\me\documents f:\users\me\documents
    c:\work f:\work

    And I'm darned if I can see how to do that!

    Assuming I don't come to my senses soon, could someone point me in the right direction please?

    cheers, Dallas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,619

    Default

    Hello Dallas,

    No problem, Dallas. Our support forums are specifically for asking questions like this.

    The easiest solution would be to setup 2 separate sessions, but from your example you could also setup a single session and use file name filters to narrow down your results.

    Your pair of base folders should be the lowest common point, which in this case would be:
    c:\ <=> f:\
    Then setup file name filters in the Session menu -> Session Settings -> Name filters tab.
    Include the folders:
    .\work
    .\users\me\documents

    This should give you the results you are looking for. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bremen, Germany
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Hi Dallas,

    I think, the feature you are looking for is the workspace management in the session menu.

    Bye
    Christoph

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,619

    Default

    Thanks, Christoph.

    Yes, you could also load two tabs, each showing a different pair of folders, at once easily by opening the tabs and folders (and even sizing and positioning them as you wish).

    Then Save the workspace in the Session menu. Launching Beyond Compare and loading the workspace will reopen any windows, size and position them, as needed.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

    Your pair of base folders should be the lowest common point, which in this case would be:
    c:\ <=> f:\
    Then setup file name filters in the Session menu -> Session Settings -> Name filters tab.
    Include the folders:
    .\work
    .\users\me\documents

    This should give you the results you are looking for. Let us know if you have any questions.
    This didn't work for me -- I should probably have given you the full details instead of trying to be clever. :-)
    I'm trying sync (update both):
    C:\Users\Dallas\Documents <--> \\PEREGRINE\Users\Dallas\Documents
    c:\work\GRBackPro Working Area <--> \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\WORK\GRBackPro Working Area

    I can do it with 2 tabs (thanks for the suggestions!), but that means I have to look inside both tabs (FAR too much work! <g>). So I like the idea you've given, but it seems to generate an awful lot of files in the root that then have to be filtered. I'm still missing something, i think?

    Thanks!
    cheers, Dallas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks, Christoph.

    Yes, you could also load two tabs, each showing a different pair of folders, at once easily by opening the tabs and folders (and even sizing and positioning them as you wish).

    Then Save the workspace in the Session menu. Launching Beyond Compare and loading the workspace will reopen any windows, size and position them, as needed.
    thanks, Aaron and Christoph - I'm using this for now, but as you can see I'm not quite happy. :-)

    Cheers!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,619

    Default

    Hello,

    If there is not a common base folder you will need to use two tabs, but which files are presented that need to be filtered out? Since you are using two tabs, you can set the base folders at the lowest, specific level. File Name filters can also be set generally (-*.jpg to filter out all jpg files, for example). Filters are also saved in the session, so reloading the session will set the filters.

    Which files are presented that you want to filter out?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

    If there is not a common base folder you will need to use two tabs, but which files are presented that need to be filtered out? Since you are using two tabs, you can set the base folders at the lowest, specific level. File Name filters can also be set generally (-*.jpg to filter out all jpg files, for example). Filters are also saved in the session, so reloading the session will set the filters.

    Which files are presented that you want to filter out?
    The only common base is the root, so you can picture how many file types are involved! And being me, I've no idea what file types I'll be looking for within the specific folders -- could be anything. The two tab approach works, and there aren't that many files in the "work" folder anyway. Thanks!

    Cheers, Dallas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Hi Dallas!

    I'm shure it's not possible to manage your sync in only one tab with those paths:
    Quote Originally Posted by drdca View Post
    ...I'm trying sync (update both):
    C:\Users\Dallas\Documents <--> \\PEREGRINE\Users\Dallas\Documents
    c:\work\GRBackPro Working Area <--> \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\WORK\GRBackPro Working Area...
    The reason is, that you don't have a common base folder on the right side.
    You can only load a (one) network share as a base folder on one side, but you have two shares (Users & C-Drive) on host PEREGRINE.

    If both shares are on one logical drive you may use the drive share (C$) or another share containing both paths (Dallas\... & WORK\...).
    From your example I would expect that \\PEREGRINE\Users is also accessible as \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\Users.

    If this is possible you can setup a session with the base folders C:\ and \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive.

    To prevent loading unwanted files and folders you have to set Name Filters/Exclude files to ".\*" (files in the base folder) and Name Filters/Include folders to ".\Users\Dallas\Documents" and ".\work\GRBackPro Working Area".

    Greetings Lutz

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    Hi Dallas!

    I'm shure it's not possible to manage your sync in only one tab with those paths:

    The reason is, that you don't have a common base folder on the right side.
    You can only load a (one) network share as a base folder on one side, but you have two shares (Users & C-Drive) on host PEREGRINE.

    If both shares are on one logical drive you may use the drive share (C$) or another share containing both paths (Dallas\... & WORK\...).
    From your example I would expect that \\PEREGRINE\Users is also accessible as \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive\Users.

    If this is possible you can setup a session with the base folders C:\ and \\PEREGRINE\C-Drive.

    To prevent loading unwanted files and folders you have to set Name Filters/Exclude files to ".\*" (files in the base folder) and Name Filters/Include folders to ".\Users\Dallas\Documents" and ".\work\GRBackPro Working Area".
    You're quite right about the dual share. It was sloppy thinking on my part. I'll play with the filters - I've never done much with them (my wants are simple, what can I say? <g>). Good idea -- thanks!

    Cheers, Dallas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •