X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardee
    Visitor
    • Dec 2003

Only change to file is name capitalization

Might you consider adding a few lines of code to recognize when the only change in a file is the capitalization of the filename? I know it's a pretty obscure thing (not for me though!), but I imagine it would be easy to implement and test, and it wouldn't slow the program by a measurable amount. Then rather than having to delete the file and copy it again, it could just change the capitalization of the target to match that of the source.

(I often change only the capitalization of my MP3 files' names.)

Re: Only change to file is name capitalization

> Then rather than having to delete the file and copy it again, it could just change the capitalization of the target to match that of the source.

What I do is position to the name I want, and hit F2 (or your customized key for "rename"), then ^C to copy the name; then I ESC and position to the other window, and hit F2 to rename the OTHER one, and hit ^V to paste the other one's name. and hit enter.

I sometimes rename a file on one machine such as "anno doc for new servers.pdf" to "anno_doc_for_new_servers.pdf", (because in the "old days" spaces in filenames were a problem - old habits die hard). SO I do the "trick" to copy the filenames.

Ward Christensen
    (Inventor of "Xmodem" and "BBSs")

Comment

• frodsham
      Visitor
      • Dec 2003

Re: Only change to file is name capitalization

Me too!

When I do a directory compare it shows identical files if the timestamps are different. It should also show them in this case.

Pretty please.

Comment

• frodsham
        Visitor
        • Dec 2003

Ignore that - it\'s already an option

Ignore that. It's an option on the advanced comparison control.

Comment

Working...