X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mxtreme
    New User
    • Dec 2003

Schedule snap-shot of drive

I would like to create a scheduled event to run in out-of-work hours time to create a snap-shot of the same drive on a daily basis. I have read there is script capabilities to run Beyond Compare but as a newbie I have not experimented with any at this stage. Any help regarding this problem would be appreciated.

Shaun.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Schedule snap-shot of drive

Oooh, a chance to show off the new Knowledge Base!

Here's a writeup on how to schedule a script: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?c=kb_schedule

Saving a snapshot from a script isn't supported in 2.0.x, but is in the 2.1 beta (the help will be updated soon). Also, unlike what the KB article says, 2.1 uses /silent automatically, so you don't need to add it to the command line.

The simplest script you could automate to do this would be:

Code:
    snapshot path:C:\Folder output:C:\Folder.bcss
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• mxtreme
      New User
      • Dec 2003

my version seems to be 2.0.2
      I am thus assuming that scripting a snap-shot will not be supported.
      Looks like its press start at the end of the day and come back the next day and its done. Its not the best method but good enough for the time being.
      Thank you for your assistance Craig.

Comment

I've setup a script to do a backup of my drive. It copies new files over and then deletes any files that were deleted, therefore making it an exact copy.

I have this script setup on my desktop, to backup my laptop. I was going to set it up as a Scheduled Task, however I noticed that if it ran while my laptop was offline, the select right.orphan.files then delete right was deleting everything off the backup.

I'm assuming it thought everything was deleted from the Laptop since it couldn't find it on the network, therefore it deleted all files in the backup.

Any work around for this?

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

I'll probably drive everyone crazy saying this before the official release

Use the 2.1 beta. It now checks and makes sure both base folders load, and it's considered a fatal error if either hasn't. Fatal errors and syntax errors stop the script immediately.

We've also added a soon-to-be-documented sync command that handles the select, copy, and delete commands all at once. The syntax for it is available in the beta changelog, and we have the actual help updated in the next couple of weeks.

I realize the 'beta' moniker will scare most people off, but the scripting support in 2.1 is stable, and I don't expect to find any issues with it between now and the final release.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• jdmarch
            Fanatic
            • Oct 2007

sjc, I want to strongly agree with Craig: use the 2.1 beta! I have found that all the BC betas, ever since I started using BC six years ago, are of the highest quality. I always switch to the newest BC version, beta or not, and I've never had the slightest difficulty.

Comment

Working...