X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • free2create
    Visitor
    • Oct 2007

Comparing a file to itself.

Today I started using the 'detect partial locks' option when copying files.

Now from the context menu when I select compare a zip file(actually a .jar)
    to itself I get the message that the file is already in use by another application.

Cirrus should be able to figure out that it's own process is the owner, and not abort the compare.
    Before Microsoft bought the excellent free tools developers from sysinternals.com last November you could download source code that did this for their FileMon tool. see:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...k/Filemon.mspx

At the bottom of this link are great references for implementing things,
    I would hope they would be the same for Vista.

-Rob
    Last edited by free2create; 16-Nov-2007, 03:05 PM.
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The "detect partial locks" option only affects copies, not opening and comparing zips. Where you thinking it had something to do with the error message?

I can right-click a zip file in Explorer, pick "Select left side to compare" and then "Compare to...". Cirrus opens a comparison of the zip with itself without an error message. Are you saying this never works for you?

On a semi-related note:
    When Cirrus compares the same folder left and right (or same zip file), it cheerfully lets you copy from one side to the other, and perform content comparisons. BC2 detects when left and right are the same thing and disables the Copy, Move and Compare Contents commands. Cirrus should do the same and we'll implement that soon.

When I try to copy a file over itself in Cirrus, I do get the message "cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". This has nothing to do with zip files, and in fact it seems I can copy a file within the zip to itself without the error message. Again, we'll eliminate the error message by disabling the copy command.

Thanks,
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
      Expert
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
      On a semi-related note:
      When Cirrus compares the same folder left and right (or same zip file), it cheerfully lets you copy from one side to the other, and perform content comparisons. BC2 detects when left and right are the same thing and disables the Copy, Move and Compare Contents commands. Cirrus should do the same and we'll implement that soon.
      Keep it cheerful, please! I'm actually using that! (Especially the file compare, so I can edit a file's contents and save it - or save as... - without having another folder loaded.) Why disable it? I can imagine disabling copy and move - but compare is useful because it lets you edit.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Marjolein,

Tim was just referring to the "Compare Contents" action, which would just fill in the center column, not the "Compare in New View" support, which we'll keep enabled.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
          Expert
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Craig
          Tim was just referring to the "Compare Contents" action, which would just fill in the center column, not the "Compare in New View" support, which we'll keep enabled.
          Great, now I can sleep! (Way past my bedtime, too)

Comment

Working...