Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

Would this "feature" be scheduled for development soon ? The closest I can get to matching the file content is to display the CRC and then sort the list to CRC order. See attached
    Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Thanks. Duplicate scanning is on our Wishlist still. Our Customer Wishlist has items that are not currently scheduled projects, but a place our developers go for ideas for future features and enhancements.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
        Fanatic
        • Nov 2004

Thanks Aaron. I'm sure many users would find this feature useful. Removing the filename from any folder comparision will no doubt force the need to compare on CRC + Filesize only. That said, once those 2 conditions are met with 2 files, if the contents 'equal', we have a match. (Just scratching out some rough pseudo specs for your developers. )

Comment

• peterr
          Fanatic
          • Nov 2004

Seriously need this feature added. In the middle of an email recovery, and the files recovered have different file names. Is it a feature yet ?

Comment

• peterr
            Fanatic
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Aaron
            Thanks. Duplicate scanning is on our Wishlist still. Our Customer Wishlist has items that are not currently scheduled projects, but a place our developers go for ideas for future features and enhancements.
            This thread has had 19,940 views. I think it is about time it had priority.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Appreciated, peterr. It is something we'd like to tackle, but have been very busy with other large projects and core functionality like 64bit support. It's one of our top wishlist items, too, so it is never out of sight.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                Fanatic
                • Nov 2004

Thanks Aaron. I did try the view 'Structure | Ignore Folder structure" which showed me 'duplicate' files side by side. Not on the same line of course, but very similar as shown at https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...4&d=1422253539

'Duplicates' could be easily seen, although there were over 64,000 files, so I wasn't going to check each one. It would be nice to have left orphans and right orphans show up, disregarding the filename of course.

I did try fdupes, and it did show all the duplicates. Would even be nice if that was 'tweaked' to show 'non duplicates' (orphans).

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

Were you in a scenario where showing only orphans or excluding them would be useful? If you right click the toolbar you can switch to Toggles mode, which can individually enable/disable different criteria (Left Orphans, Right Orphans, Right Newer, Same, etc) individually. You could show a very specific criteria using this mode, if it's helpful.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                    Fanatic
                    • Nov 2004

Thanks Aaron. I did have a look at that after you mentioned it. But as the 2 folders had no filenames that matched on name only, there would basically be a heap of left orphans and right orphans. For now, I have been running fdupes to display the duplicates. I'm expecting that it finds all duplicates, based on CRC/size.

Comment

• dariusan
                      Visitor
                      • Dec 2014

Could you allow as to find duplicates by giving us a feature that let's us align files by CRC and SIZE in "flatten" mode?
                      I would like to find files with same content but different names....

Comment

• peterr
                        Fanatic
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dariusan
                        Could you allow as to find duplicates by giving us a feature that let's us align files by CRC and SIZE in "flatten" mode?
                        I would like to find files with same content but different names....
                        Yes, that is all that is required. Flat view, no folders, find duplicates by CRC and SIZE.

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Hello,

It's that easy for an initial scan, but gets trickier with outlier cases and internal or external changes to the file content. We don't want to have a tool that gives the impression of a task but has unreliable results. If it were easy, we'd throw it in the application.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...