• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NeOnD
    Expert
    • Oct 2008

Associated Application

Hi,

I wondering if we could have a file open with "Associated Application" when we hit Enter on that file selection. Obviously it should be activated only when that particular file is selected & not on more than one files selection [because in that case we would want compare those selected files & not open them with default application].
    Thanks !
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can use our configurable Open With functionality to add this in and give it a customized Keyboard shortcut:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...penwithapp.php
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• NeOnD
      Expert
      • Oct 2008

Thanks Aaron but I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut for the Default "Associated Application" e.g. MS Excel for .xls file.
      If I keep on adding the default application executable for each type then there would be a long list. I don't wanna do that.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

In other words, a keyboard shortcut to the Explorer -> Open context menu item.
        Sounds like a good idea to me.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Open With -> Associated Application does the exact same command as Explorer -> Open. The only reason the first exists is because it doesn't have to build the Exporer submenu, which can be slow for some users. Just assign [Enter] to it and you'll get the exact behavior you want (assuming you want it to affect folders as well).
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• NeOnD
            Expert
            • Oct 2008

Thanks Craig,
            That's what is my concern. I see that we can not assign "Associated Application" a shortcut. It's disabled for this Menu Item hence I raised the question at the first place.

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

You should upgrade to the latest release (3.1.9). We made it configurable in 3.1.5.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• NeOnD
                Expert
                • Oct 2008

Thanks. I could do that. But it comes with a sacrifice. Now I am not able to select two files & compare them by hitting Enter. Instead it opens those files in their default application.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

Perhaps I could make a suggestion to Team Scooter that would help.

Currently, it appears that the Space bar selects an item on one side of the folder compare. Move to an item on the other side of the folder compare and press the Spacebar again, and it compares the two files.

If a file pair is already selected, why not make the Spacebar compare the file pair instead of dropping half of the selection as it does now. This way, someone could re-assign Enter as NeOnD has done, and still have a quick shortcut to compare a selected file pair (the Spacebar).
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• NeOnD
                    Expert
                    • Oct 2008

I assigned the shortcut "Shift + Enter" for "Associated Application" so that helps in my case

Comment

Working...