X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

Copy Line to Right shortcut key

My menu shows Copy Line to Right without its shortcut key yet some other commands with. Is there something I have to do to get all to show? Thanks.
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

I think what you are seeing is the Copy Line to Other Side command, which appears on the menu as "Copy Line to Right" when the left pane is the current pane. If you assign a shortcut to Copy Line to Other Side, it will appear in the menu.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

> If you assign a shortcut to Copy Line to Other Side, it will appear in
      > the menu.

OK, but why is the existing assignment of SHIFT+CTRL+R to "Copy Line to Right" not appearing in the menu?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Chrisjj,

The command "Copy Line to Other Side" is a contextual command. If you have the selection on one side, it will say "copy line to right", and if you have it on the other side it will say "copy line to left". The command itself is the "Copy Line to Other Side" Command in the Tools menu -> Customize commands, and needs to have a keyboard shortcut assigned there.

The "Copy Line to Right" Command can also have a keyboard shortcut, and will copy from the left to the right regardless of where the selection is. If you go to the Customize commands option for Copy Line to Right, you need to have Show Command in Menu to have it show up in the menu.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

Phew! Thanks.

But, serious question: do you expect any user to be able to fathom there are two seaprate commands often with the same name but different shortcuts? I find no clue in the Help.

Comment

• Tim
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

The help file describes these commands under Commands Reference | Folder Compare
            Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Tim
              The help file describes these commands under Commands Reference | Folder Compare
              Under Text Compare I find the two commands under different names, but nothing to indicate they often have the same name.

I think it is unnecessarily confusing to have one command with different and sometimes variable names in different places. I suggest it would be much better for Copy to Other Side to always be named that.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Tim
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Sorry, I was looking under the wrong section. We will edit the Text Compare documentation to be more complete, like the similar text under Folder Compare.
                Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Apr 2008

Yes I find the Folder Compare docs much more helpful here. Thanks.

Comment

• dandv
                    Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2009

Please have the shortcut key listed in the menu and tooltip

Originally posted by chrisjj
                    > If you assign a shortcut to Copy Line to Other Side, it will appear in
                    > the menu.

OK, but why is the existing assignment of SHIFT+CTRL+R to "Copy Line to Right" not appearing in the menu?
                    I'm using 3.1.9 build 11282 and the shortcuts (Ctrl+L/R) never appear in the menu. I changed them to Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right, but the shortcuts still aren't listed (while other shortcuts, such as Ctrl+A, are).

It would also help with shortcut memorization to have the shortcuts listed in the tooltips of the toolbar buttons for copy left/right.

Finally, I found it more efficient to go among lines and copy them left and right (no pun intended) by mapping those shortcuts all on the arrow keys, as Compare It! does: Alt+Up/Down goes to the prev/next difference, Alt+Left/Right copies.

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by dandv
                      It would also help with shortcut memorization to have the shortcuts listed in the tooltips of the toolbar buttons for copy left/right
                      Shortcut discovery too!

I wholeheartedly second this suggestion.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason you are not currently seeing a shortcut is because we have 3 commands: Copy to Left, Copy to Right, and Copy to Other Side. If you assign a Shortcut to the Copy to Other Side command (under the Tools menu -> Customize Commands), then it will appear in the toolbar as well. Or, if you expose the Copy to Right and Copy to Left commands instead, you will see their shortcuts.

I will add this to our Customer Wishlist to see what we can do to help make the tooltip show additional information.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...