• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSprenge
    Visitor
    • Dec 2009

Right mouse click results in reconfiguring BC3 at pc without admin privs

Hi,

Here it is a general rule that end users do not get admin privileges on their pc.
    Beyond Compare 3.1 was scripted and distributed.
    For a number of end users (I can not confirm that it happens with all) whenever they right click on a file in Windows Explorer, they get a screen that says that Beyond Compare needs to get configured and after this they receive the pop menu they wanted to see for that particular file.

Is this related to the user privileges? Or something else?
    Is there a solution, because it starts to annoy people
    (though they are very happy with the tool )
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The first time Beyond Compare is run by each user it displays an Initial Configuration Wizard. It isn't possible to prevent users from seeing the wizard, but it will only run once for each user. It allows you to select initial settings like a tabbed or windowed interface.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

I've included a screenshot of the Welcome screen Chris mentioned. If you don't want your users to see that run BC once then copy the resulting BCState.xml into each user's %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3 subdirectory.

That dialog only occurs once you've selected the "Compare" or "Compare to 'xyz'" menu items. We don't show dialogs of any sort when you just right click on a file, and if you're seeing that it isn't from us, even if it mentions Beyond Compare. Are you repackaging the installer as an MSI?
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Craig
        I've included a screenshot of the Welcome screen Chris mentioned. If you don't want your users to see that run BC once then copy the resulting BCState.xml into each user's %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3 subdirectory.
        I don't mean to hi-jack this thread...but I do think it may be related. Back in the Cirrus beta days, I asked for a way to deploy Beyond Compare such that all users would inherit the same initial configuration. I made several specific suggestions:

1) If one or more of the BC3 .xml configuration files exist in the installation directory, apply it at installation. This would include, at the very least: BCState.xml, BCPreferences.xml, BCSessions.xml, and BCFtpProfiles.xml.

2) If the above were true and the installation being performed was for "All Users", then also place the files into the %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\ subdirectory.

3) If a new user runs BC3 for the first time, BC3 should check the %allusersprofile% for BC3 configuration files and apply them silently if they exist rather than prompting the user.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• JSprenge
          Visitor
          • Dec 2009

Hi all,

this issue is further discussed in another topic:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5383

Thanks!

Comment

Working...