BC 3.1.8 does not see mapped network drives.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wrench
    Visitor
    • Nov 2009

BC 3.1.8 does not see mapped network drives.

This is a new problem that I guess started with BC 3.1.8 but its possibly some other issue. From my Windows 7 pro 64 bit (RTM) PC I map a network drive on my XP pro 32 bit sp3 PC. All is well I can fully access all files on the mapped drive from windows explorer. When I start BC (BC is being run as admin on my W7 PC) I can not see the mapped drive from browse folder\file system. This worked fine previously and the only thing I know for sure that changed is I updated BC from 3.1.7 to 3.1.8.

What is really strange is if I use the explorer context menu to compare a folder that is on the mapped drive to a local folder BC has no problem accessing the mapped drive. Once this is done the mapped drive shows up in browse folder\file system and everything works fine until BC is closed and re opened. Once this is done the mapped drive is gone.

I tried a uninstall, reboot and install of BC 3.1.8 but the problem remains. I have not tried going back to 3.1.7 but I might give it a shot.

Any help appreciated
  • wrench
    Visitor
    • Nov 2009

I tried going back to 3.1.7 and no joy, same problem.

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Are you running as a user account that has administrative rights or are you right clicking on BC's shortcut and selecting "Run As Administrator"? If you aren't using "Run As Administrator", does using it to run BC help with the problem?

Is the network drive using your logon user credentials or with another user account? If you're using a different account, did you check the box to save the credentials when you mapped the drive?
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• wrench
        Visitor
        • Nov 2009

Yes I'm running BC by right click "Run As Administrator". I'm using the user credentials from the PC with the drive being mapped. I did not check the box to save the credentials until today. Doing so does not fix the problem. I have also used the administrator credentials of the PC that has the drive I want to map still no joy.

I have been thinking and its possible mapped network drives may have never worked using BC in windows 7. I was using Vista 64 bit sp2 until last month when Windows 7 came out. Clean install of W7 BTW. I backup my data about once a month so it is possible the last time I used BC was under Vista.

Originally posted by Chris
        Are you running as a user account that has administrative rights or are you right clicking on BC's shortcut and selecting "Run As Administrator"? If you aren't using "Run As Administrator", does using it to run BC help with the problem?

Is the network drive using your logon user credentials or with another user account? If you're using a different account, did you check the box to save the credentials when you mapped the drive?

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hi Wrench,

Does the mapped drive show up correctly if you don't use "Run As Administrator"? If that solves the problem, it might help to edit your registry as described in the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

You'll need to reboot your system after creating the registry entry described at the above link.
          Last edited by Chris; 25-Nov-2009, 05:27 PM.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• wrench
            Visitor
            • Nov 2009

Yes it does show up when I do not "Run As Administrator". I guess I never tried this before because BC is near useless when not run as Administrator. I had a look at the registry mod and it's not a secure workaround. I wonder what is different between Vista and Win 7 because I had no problem in Vista running BC by right click "Run As Administrator". Note UAC was enabled on both.

Originally posted by Chris
            Hi Wrench,

Does the mapped drive show up correctly if you don't use "Run As Administrator"? If that solves the problem, it might help to edit your registry as described in the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

You'll need to reboot your system after creating the registry entry described at the above link.

Comment

Working...