Default Backups are overwritten

If I choose to backup the files by BC it will overwrite them the second time.

It woul be better (and expected) if there was a sequence number appendend like :

file.txt.bak.001
    file.txt.bak.002
    file.txt.bak.003

And when you choose to let BC backup to a folder it could create a subfolder per action, fe

c:\backup\20091123134622\file1.txt
    c:\backup\20091123134622\file2.txt

The following backup set would go to

c:\backup\20091123134702\file1.txt
    c:\backup\20091123134702\file2.txt

(the subfolder is a timestap)

Regards, Tom

Thanks, Tom. I've added your notes to our Customer Wishlist. As a workaround, you should use the Copy To Folder command to manually backup your files to a new destination before overriding them. Our built-in "Backup" options are intended for more simple, one-stage backups of files in case of a corrupt file transfer. For a full backup solution, we recommend using Beyond Compare itself to perform the backup.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

if i had to choose which feature i've wanted the longest in BC, it would have to be a more sophisticated backup mechanism. going on 8 years now.... :-)

a quick read through any distro's _info coreutils 'Backup options'_ and perusal of the source for cp or mv should cast some seed on the fertile minds of developers.

for the past few years, i've used: cp --suffix=.%date%-%random% --backup=simple <filename> <destpath>, which copies file.txt as someplace\file.txt.2010-01-01_nnnnn (since %date% has colons and they don't work too well in filenames :-). BC's fn_time would be PERFECT for this... <hint hint>

The dialog could be re-worked so that you could multi-select options for the rename (instead of the radio buttons you have now): prefix the extension, prefix the filename, suffix the extension, suffix the filename, replace the extension and a destination path. You're essentially providing these now but in a limited way.

It would be oh so much more flexible if they could a> be combined and b> all have the following options: static text or current date/time (as of the operation), the file's date/time or system envvars (would have to work around your hijacking of date & time). The path field would allow the same , as well as .\<something> to be relative to the source directory. Filename collisions could be handled with the pseudo-windows standard of (2), (3), etc... suffixed in there somewhere.

So, using my example above would be a checkbox in extension suffix, with a value of ".%date%_%fn_time% and a path of .\_Archive (which would copy the re-named file into the _Archive subdir of the current source directory).

The next step would be to make the backup settings a per session config option. And if (when?) you add something more sophisticated, a toolbar button to turn this on and off would be needed as well.

Another way to provide the options on an ad-hoc basis would be with the shift-key (or perhaps alt) in conjunction with the keystroke, ctrl-shift-r (for example) would open up a dialog to allow you to set copy-specific settings for that copy before performing it - could include backup options, attribute check boxes (on, off, flip), touch, and all the other regular per-operation sets you have (include hidden, set as session defaults), etc..., as well as the requisite cancel and OK buttons.

Thanks, beelsr. I've added your notes as well. Building this functionality into BC3 to make it easier and more intuitive is on our wishlist.

As a workaround for more complicated backups, you can perform your backups manually, instead of using the BC option for backup. With BC script, you can automate and use variables such as %fn_time% to help backup into specific directories using the CopyTo command.
    Aaron P Scooter Software