X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MicahB
    New User
    • Oct 2009

Acrobat 9 Pro breaks PDFtoText.exe

My users have encountered problems comparing .PDF documents using Beyond Compare 2 (BC2).

Some .PDF documents will compare correctly while others will fail to display text in the viewing pane.

I looked into it and found that in our environment, there are several different ways Word documents get transcribed into .PDF files:

- Case 1: Utility known as CutePDF Writer which can be chosen as a printer when installed.
    - Case 2: When Microsoft Office 2007 plugin "SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe" is installed, mousing over Save As... in Word allows you to save a document as .PDF.
    - Case 3: When Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional is installed, Word will have an "Acrobat" tab with a button: "Create PDF".
    (- Case 4: Behaves identical to Case 3 - When Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional is installed, mousing over Save As... in Word allows you to save a document as Adobe PDF)

In BC2 cases 1 and 2 appear normally enough, only displaying certain editing items differently. Case 3 (and 4) fails to display in the BC2 view window.

Using PDFtoText.exe from command prompt to pull text from .PDF files of each of the above cases, I was able to find that Cases 1 and 2 work as expected, creating a .txt file with text from the source .PDF file. Case 3 (and 4) however fails, encountering the following errors (identical errors for both cases):

Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
    Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
    Error: Couldn't read xref table

Unfortunately the .PDFs my users work with are not all created in house so I cannot simply eliminate Case 3 from my environment. Is there anything else I can try to get this working?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Micah,

If you download a newer version of PDFtoText.exe from the 3rd party site, does that work for you?:
    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

Are there any security permissions enabled in the PDFs your users are creating (such as limiting printing, copying text, etc)?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• MicahB
      New User
      • Oct 2009

This worked perfectly. Thanks for the prompt response!

Comment

Working...