• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dynavics
    Visitor
    • Sep 2009

Windows 7 hangs

Hello together,

not sure why, how and when but the following happens on my machine when using BC3 from time to time:

Windows completely stops responding while compare (maybe initial compare) of two text files runs. Not even the mouse can be moved anymore nor can I use the keyboard anymore (Numlock On/Off shows no reaction as an example).

I cannot suspend the PC by pressing the power button as usual.

The only thing which helps is a painful cold reboot.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

We have been testing Windows 7 in the office, and have not run into this issue yet. Are you able to reproduce this behavior with specific files? Specific folder locations?

Could you send in your Support package to [email protected] (Help menu -> Support; Export). Please include a link back to this forum post.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dynavics
      Visitor
      • Sep 2009

Unfortunately not. It does not seem to be reproducable by a certain action. Anyway it is easier to reproduce the same issue with a 1.9b version of Beyond Compare (that is the reason why we purchased a BC3 today as 1.9 did a very good job for us).
      The only thing which I noticed is that after comparing (merging) two text files using the "text compare" option and saving it, I tried to open a new file on the left side (by the way this was easier in 1.9 where closing the compare window returned to the file selection instead of closing the complete application). I could not select a file on the right side anymore as the compare process started with two completely different files which should not have been compared at all.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

If you don't want BC3 to close, go to Tools \ Options \ Tabs and uncheck the "Closing last remaining tab closes window" option.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• jazde86
          New User
          • Sep 2009

Hi,

I've the exact same trouble!

Default Browser: Google Chrome 4.0.206.1
          Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech MX-5500 Bluetooth

BC freezes my computer totally and I could't control anything. The time on the taskbar freezes too.

BCSupport.zip is attached.
          Last edited by Aaron; 10-Sep-2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I downloaded and deleted your BCSupport.zip before publically approving your message since it contains all of your settings and other data you may not want publically posted on our forum.

Please email Support.zip packages to [email protected] with a link back to the forum post.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Also, would you be able to send your Process Explorer log of background applications you have running? Again, please include a link back to this forum post, and your Forum account name.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you are trying to open two new files for a new comparison, I recommend using the Session dropdown in the toolbar to launch a new Text Compare (which will use the current open tab, replacing both of your files).

Otherwise, if you open a left file and there is already a file on the right it will begin comparing them.

Are these files in the same parent folders? We have keyboard shortcuts for going to the next pair of Different Files from within the Text Compare session. There may be a better way of navigating to your files rather than opening them individually in each Text Compare pane.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
                  Fanatic
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dynavics
                  Windows 7 completely stops responding while compare (maybe initial compare) of two text files runs.
                  Doesn't say good things about the robustness of Windows 7.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Oct 2007

How much RAM do you have? Personally I would not run Windows 7 without a minimum of 3GB RAM (32-bit) or 4GB RAM (64-bit). Also, does the same thing happen if you run BC3 in XP compatability mode? What about the "Run this program as an administrator" option?
                    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 07-Nov-2009, 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
                    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• dynavics
                      Visitor
                      • Sep 2009

We run Win7 with 32bit and 4GB of RAM (yes, I know).

Comparing is not our primary company target - so we use BC from time to time only when doing major upgrades to our software.

So this is not easy to reproduce-

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Another idea is this could be driver related. Are you running the latest drivers for your chipset/motherboard, graphics card, network card, etc? It may be a specific piece of hardware has poor Win7 support, and the BC3 compare is stressing it to a point of failure.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...