• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

453 Suggestion: Compare With...

453 Suggestion: Compare With...
    Can we please have a r-c Compare With... command?

This will be swifter to use than 2x Open Base Folders especially where the first OBF causes the second to go way off the bottom of the view, as almost always happens here with big folders.

Thanks.
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Having a compare with in the context menu isn't really necessary. You can select any two files (hold down the Ctrl key and click on the two files) then compare them from the context menu today. I don't think a compare with would be any more efficient.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

What in the world are you two talking about? There's already a "Compare to..." item in the right click menu and has been for years.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

You're right, Craig. Perhaps Chris thought "Compare With..." would be a more consistant naming convention since there is now an "Align With..." menu item and since they would be similar in nature (both performing an action against two mis-aligned files or folders)...

I simply mentioned an alternate way to do the same thing without bothering to look to see what was already in the context menu. I know I've used the "Compare to..." menu item in the past, but it is not one that I use frequently, and forgot about it at the time...
        Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 09-May-2008, 12:05 AM.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
          I don't think a compare with would be any more efficient.
          It would - fewer clicks, and operable by mouse only - but not much, agreed.

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Craig
            What in the world are you two talking about? There's already a "Compare to..." item in the right click menu and has been for years.
            Hmm... I'd guess you mean "Compare In New View"... except it was just added, prior to which there was no context menu command what would compare folders.

If anyone else finds a "Compare to..." item on their the right click menu, please do say.

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

"Compare to..." is above the first separator in the context menu, between either "Sync in new view" and "Align with" or "Quick compare" and "Align with", depending on whether a file or folder is selected. It only appears if you have one file or folder selected, so if both sides are selected it won't. If you select it it turns the cursor into an arrow with a question mark, and selecting another item of the same type either sets the two as base folders or opens a file comparison of the appropriate type. You can right click on the second item instead of left clicking on it to get a different context menu to open with a specific viewer. It's existed since at least v2.0.0, possibly v1.x.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Erik
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

If you still can't find "Compare to", select Tools -> Customize Commands and make sure it's "Show command in menu" is checked.
                Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chrisjj
                  If anyone else finds a "Compare to..." item on their the right click menu, please do say.
                  In my Windows environment, "Compare To..." is immediately above "Align With..."
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...