Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 3-way Folder Compare?

Hello,

I have two different environments that are very similar and if I could get a 3 way folder compare it would help greatly with my daily work.

We have a Dev, Test and Production servers and I need to migrate changes from one to the other and have no way to view in one display the differences between them.

If I had a 3 way folder compare, I could see the differences of dev, test and prod.

Currently I have to switch from a folder compare of dev to test and test to prod. I tried setting up a dev to prod, but it just does not let me know what is on test.

I hope I have made my use case understandable.
    -Doug

I have a similar situation and would really like to see 3-way folder compare support in BC3. This is one of very few features that is still lacking in an otherwise outstanding product.

Hello,

A 3-way Folder Comparison is on our wishlist for a future version of Beyond Compare.

Let us know if you have any questions or other suggestions about a 3-way compare.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the information that you have already identified this.
    -Doug

I hope it's high on the wish list

Quote Originally Posted by davenovak View Post
    I hope it's high on the wish list
    3-way folder comparson would be awesome, I spend 3 hrs out of each day doing 3way merges and this would cut my comparison times in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

A 3-way Folder Comparison is on our wishlist for a future version of Beyond Compare.

Let us know if you have any questions or other suggestions about a 3-way compare.
    Any chance of this making it into BC3? I hope this feature will allow 3-way text compare views as well - that's what I need the most.

Hi Casterle,

We've been a bit sloppy with our terminology, so to clarify:

BC3 already has a 3-way text merge view in the Pro edition. It takes three files as input and produces a new file as output. You can see a screenshot if it here.

We are planning on adding a similar folder merge interface before v4.

Some of our competitors have a 3-way text/folder compare instead, where there are three files side-by-side, and you can copy text between them. We don't have any immediate plans to add that.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hi Casterle,
    Some of our competitors have a 3-way text/folder compare instead, where there are three files side-by-side, and you can copy text between them. We don't have any immediate plans to add that.
    Unfortunately that's what I need. Isn't that what the top part of the screenshot you linked to is doing? I see the status bar says "Editing disabled". Is that because editing isn't supported?

If I can't do this in BC3, would you email me the names of products which do this? I found one on the net today, but it was horrid.

The top of the window is doing a 3-way comparison, but we currently only allow editing in the bottom panel (the merged result). I don't think it would especially difficult to add a 3-way editable comparison to BC, but supporting multiple ways to do a merge would make the interface more complicated and confusing. The competitors that do have the 3-way comparison don't support the merged output window, so it's usually just a matter of which you prefer.

Anyway, I did email you list of other utilities that do what you need. I hope that helps.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software