X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

Cyan bar

Where is the user documentation for the cyan bar? e.g.

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Chrisjj,

I did a quick search through help and did not see the specific mention of the teal bar. It appears after a user uses the Align With command in the Text Compare session. We have not had any questions about it from any users until now, so it would appear to be fairly intuitive.

Align With does mention in the Help that you can select multiple lines. I will see about updating our reference material.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

> I did a quick search through help and did not see the specific
      > mention of the teal bar.

I didn't see any unspecific mention either.

> It appears after a user uses the Align With command in the Text Compare session.

Except when it doesn't:

> We have not had any questions about it from any users until
      > now, so it would appear to be fairly intuitive.

Ho ho

> I will see about updating our reference material.

Simply completing it would be sufficient Thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks, Chrisjj.

It is hard to see which 'state' your screenshot is in. The teal bar should appear when one side is selected for Align With... but the target has not been picked yet. Once picked the teal bar will no longer be present. It is an indicator only during the operation (similar to the Mouse cursor changing to an Arrow w/ Question Mark).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

> It is an indicator only during the operation

That's something that should be in the Help. I suggest.

> It is hard to see which 'state' your screenshot is in.

Well, quite. It would be nice if there was an indication of Align With's in effect.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello Chrisjj,

The mouse cursor with the Question Mark, the teal bar, and presence of the Cancel Alignment replacing the entire right-click menu and Edit menu are the current indicators.

If you select a section of text and then select Align With, the above three indicators should be present.
            Once you have selected the text to Align to and issue the 2nd half of the command it will re-align the text and the program will resume a normal presentation. This is a temporary command that is undone by an undo or refresh; similar to Ignore.

We have had requests to expand on this functionality (providing additional UI, saving it as part of the session, etc). These points are on our wishlist.

Is this not the behavior you are seeing? A full screen screenshot, showing the right-click menu, edit menu expanded, or the mouse should help troubleshoot this issue.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

Teal

Originally posted by Aaron
              I did a quick search through help and did not see the specific mention of the teal bar.
              I agree with Chrisjj... it's cyan, not teal

A teal hue has more green in it... and everyone should know the original CGA color palette introduced to the IBM PC world in 1981: cyan, magenta, and white (or red, green, and yellow if you had a state-of-the-art video card with an alternate palete).

Originally posted by Aaron
              We have not had any questions about it from any users until now, so it would appear to be fairly intuitive.
              I think I may have figured it out at one time, but in actuality, I could not remember what it meant when Chrisjj asked. And as Chrisjj pointed out, it doesn't always appear when Align With is used, so I don't necessarily agree that it is intuitive, nor do I understand what rules dictate when it will appear and when it will not. Maybe if I played with it some more I could figure it out again...but if it were really intuitive...I wouldn't have to.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

> The mouse cursor with the Question Mark, the teal bar, and presence of
                > the Cancel Alignment replacing the entire right-click menu and Edit menu
                > are the current indicators.

They are not current indicators of what I'm asking for, which is:

Align With's in effect.

"In effect", note.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

There is no way to note if Align With has been used in the Text Compare. Note:

Once you have selected the text to Align to and issue the 2nd half of the command it will re-align the text and the program will resume a normal presentation. This is a temporary command that is undone by an undo or refresh; similar to Ignore.
                  and

We have had requests to expand on this functionality (providing additional UI, saving it as part of the session, etc). These points are on our wishlist.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

> There is no way to note if Align With has been used in the Text Compare.

OK, thanks.

> Note:
                    I fails to see the relevence.

> and
                    Is that a hint that indicating Align With's in effect is on the wishlist?

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
                      Maybe if I played with it some more I could figure it out again...but if it were really intuitive...I wouldn't have to.
                      Okay, so I played with it again... and yes, I do believe that it is intuitive enough when you see it. It is a visual marker that identifies the original Align With selection until the Align With operation is complete or canceled.
                      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...